Monday, March 24, 2008

The Most Disturbing TV Commercial Ever

I saw the most disturbing TV commercial this morning. Keep in mind I didn’t have sound on when I saw it so I wasn’t sure what was happening until the last seconds were showing.

It was a commercial for Charmin Bathroom Tissue where the 3 Bears theme was used. The Baby Bear came from behind a tree and had white things all over his butt. Mama Bear tried various ways to get the white things off his butt, including wiping with a towel and even using a vacuum. Nothing worked. Then they showed Baby Bear coming from behind the tree after using Charmin. (This is when the light bulb in my head went off.) He shook his butt showing no white things were stuck.

I realized then that this commercial was implying that we have toilet paper bits stuck on our butts all the time. Not just dingle berries, but used, sticky, gross toilet paper bits. Worse yet it implied that people were inspecting each others butts and (maybe) even removing those bits of used toilet paper.

Who do you know that has someone inspect their ass for left behind toilet paper? I don’t know anyone.

Then they showed a test where “another leading brand” and Charmin were wetted and drug along something and the other brand left bits behind. Typical BS thing you see in commercials. Charmin left no bits behind. I’m sold!

The coup de grace was the ending. Papa Bear came from behind the tree, complete with a newspaper under his arm, and shook his butt at Mama Bear and Baby Bear to show them he had no left over bits of used toilet paper stuck on his ass. That to me means Mama Bear must have been helping him out with the same problem.

I’m sorry. Maybe I’m over thinking this but no way is there anyone checking out someone else’s ass crack for toilet paper residue. Who would even consider doing that? What would make the Charmin people decide to put something like that in a commercial? Plus, I can’t imagine that being a great selling idea for poop paper. If a person has a problem with a dirty butt after going to the can, it’s probably not a toilet paper issue.

Maybe the ad people are truly out of good ideas.

4 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

Now we know why Mr. Whipple squeezed Charmin. He didn't want any of the evidence on his hands.

Me said...

Since I don't watch television I missed this one. But... I have to say that I've never personally had a toilet paper butt sticking issue and I really didn't know anyone did. I guess enough must or they wouldn't have made a commercial about it!

DDogbreath said...

I saw it recently, at dinner time for some reason. I agree that it is in very bad taste. I think it should be called the "Charmin Dingle Bear" commercial.

Chris M said...

I generally have a fairly low opinion of product marketing types, but the toilet paper bits stuck to the bear's butt commercials take the prize for combining both stupidity and offensiveness. Has Charmin been hiring former GM marketing geniuses? In keeping with the stupidity of these commercials... Do polar bears suffer from this debilitating mode of toilet paper failure?