Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Cookie Philosophy

I remember sitting on the stairs of my house when I was a kid, watching the adults in the kitchen making cookies for the holidays. I sat and watched through the bars of the banister like I was in jail or something. One hand on each bar, face pressed tightly in between, straining to see exactly when those hot, melty chocolate chip cookies would come out of the oven. I always knew when they did too. They just called to me. They were and still are my favorite cookies. Pretty much the only ones I truely like. You can keep all those fancy-schmantzy ones. Gimme a good old, soft and warm chocolate chip cookie any day. Preferably every day. :)

I don't mind saying that because it's true. There are all kinds of cookies but when you watch people, the majority go for the staples. The chocolate chips, sugar cookies, oatmeal raisin and the peanut butter ones. Everyone talks about how they love the other kinds, the weird no bake ones that are all gritty, the so called smores ones, the fruit filled ones, the spice ones, the snicker-doodles, the shortbread ones (total bleech! there). They all talk about them but they all really return to the 4 staples.

I watched the adults make all these different style cookies over the years and the end result was always the same. The chocolate chip ones, the oatmeal raisin ones and the soft sugar ones cut into cool shapes with colorful sprinkles on them were the ones that everyone went for. They all were eaten. Most of the others ended up stale and in the trash.

I think it's sort of a metaphor for how some people are. The ones who freely admit to loving the 4 staples and munching mostly those are usually genuine, real people. The ones who talk all the time about some exotic style cookie but don't really like them are usually fake people. They just want to seem all different and more interesting than they really are. When no one is looking, they are mowing down some oatmeal cookies by the dozen. The people who really like the weird style cookies, like the Deep Shit cookies (link here) and scarf them down in leiu of the 4 staples really are differently minded. Usually they have their own style of living. They are cool people for parties but can invariably be annoying if you get too much exposure to them.

Pay attention this Christmas season to the people around you. See for yourself. I'll bet you find out the same thing I did. The type of cookies a person prefers, not just what they claim to prefer but what they actually eat, will tell you a lot about their true personality. I promise it will.

Now excuse me. I hear some chocolate chips calling me again. Breakfast of champions! ;)

1 comment:

Me said...

Blech! Don't like raisins in any form, would pass up a chocolate chip cookie on ANY day. :)

And Coffeehusbands favorites in the whole world are Snickerdoodles, Salted Nut Chews and Ginger Molasses.

I think if I had to choose a favorite cookie I'd choose Almond Tea Cakes (which is like a Russian Tea Cake but made with almonds and flavor instead). You know... the little dry white round cookies that aren't very sweet? My favs!!!


(But then again I never actually seem to fit the 'average' person persona do I?) Sigh. (Although I make a kick-ass chocolate chip cookie that I've never ever ever found one that was better!) :)