Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's Mage, Not Maaje

I was away all day Wednesday at a seminar. It was pretty fun. Sometimes those things are a drag but this one wasn't too bad. Hey, I was away from work, hanging with three babes from the department, got a free lunch and had some interesting stuff to absorb. It could have been a worse day.

The seminar was "Strengthening Your People Skills In The Workplace". With a title like that you know it had all the makings of an eventful time. I managed to find out quite a bit of stuff that I had forgotten from previous trainings and seminars. A lot of which I once knew and just stopped using. Of course, at my last job, I basically did my own thing and didn't really have to interact with anyone if I didn't feel like it. (Mostly I didn't feel like it.)

I did learn that my personality at work is a combination of "The Director" style and "The Socializer" style. The Director is the one who can't stand fluffy, long winded sentences. They like to get going, get the job done, multi-tasking, no frills and no fluff. Result driven. The people who take forever to explain things or chat too much are the ones who make this person nuts. I am really like that.

The Socializer tends to be smiling, easy going, results driven too but they like to do it their own way. Low tolerance for direction but good at getting things done. My evaluation showed that I am a combination of both.

The people there were an interesting mix. Some were OK. Some made me crazy. There was this one person who talked about her hobby of playing World of Warcraft. I listened in a little but couldn't bring myself to chat too much with her even though I like to see how other people react to the game. My reason was that she kept saying the word "Mage" (her character) in a funny way. It was like "Maaje" or something. I'm having a hard time spelling it like she pronounced it. Long drawn out "A" and the "G" sounded like a "Z". Sorta like Thurston Howell III would say it I think. It annoyed me very much. :) Webster's agrees with me:


From Webster's Online Dictionary:

mage
One entry found for mage.


Main Entry: mage
Pronunciation: 'mAj
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin magus

So now I want to find out who her character is and run up in the game and wipe her out. Too bad you can't attack players from the same groups you are part of. But I want to. "Hey beyotch! Maaje this!"

Anyway, yesterday was a whirlwind too. Coming back after a day off with a big ass load of work to do makes for a fast day. I started a project at 7:30 and suddenly it was 1:30. The time flew past me. So I finished up what I had to and left with Lisa for a glass of wine. Good way to end the day. Good wine with your best friend in a nice setting for 2.5 hours. The evening was very relaxed afterward.

So today is new period start day. That means I get to write up my end of the period reports, finish up leftover paperwork, go to endless meetings.... *yawn*... yeah, the day will drag. But it won't be stressful and it is Friday.

Plans for the weekend? Yep, I actually have some. Can you believe it? Now don't get too excited. There is always at least one stupid home improvement thing to do. With Nicci around, its non-stop. I am tearing out all the stuff from the big bedroom closet and redoing it. Adding one of those closet organizer things. It should be pretty cool once its done. Plus, the installing should be easy. Its the fixing the walls and painting that sucks. Luckily for me, Nicci won't let me touch a paintbrush so I get out of that part.

We also decided to have a date night Saturday evening. I already know what I'm cooking. Dinner in front of the fireplace, romantic stuff. You know. I won't get all gross about it. Just imagine, K?

OK< time to get this day started. The earlier it starts, the earleir it ends.

1 comment:

Me said...

Great point about knowing the people/social skills in the office but you 'forget' about using them.

Hit the nail on the head. I have room for much improvement!