Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Oldies But Goodies

Have you ever heard the descriptions of the older crowd? Like the 80-100 year olds out there? People always say things like, "He can still eat with a fork all by himself" or, "She walks all the way to the bathroom still." Isn't that funny? I guess those are accomplishments for a 100 year old. But I think those are also accomplishments for 1 year olds too. Not that I would have first hand knowledge of it, but kids have those types of milestones in life.

Are they called milestones if you are at the end of your life too? Hmmm...

Consider that kids start out wearing diapers and old people wear them too. Getting out of diapers is a milestone for a kid. I think getting out of diapers for an oldie means they die. Thats sort of a milestone, right?

Kids walking is another big deal. For good reason. But an old person who still walks is something to marvel at. Eating with utensils is another one. Young or old, it's way cool to be doing it. Except young ones go from being fed to feeding themselves. The older ones go from eating by themselves to having to be fed. Not so much a great milestone.

I think it's funny to see the old newpeople talking about other old people too. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. A lot of those stories are done by people who probably have to take breaks during filming to get a new Depends. (Barbara Walters comes to mind.)

Also, an oldie complimenting another oldie for still be able to do something is a little disconcerting. You just know they are saying it while wondering just how long they will be able to keep going themselves. I always think that when my Uncle or Aunt say something like, "That person still drives around by themselves. I wouldn't ride with them but still...." Now thats funny to me.

It's also weird to sit with my Uncle and hear him and his friends talk about their old friends. There is always something wrong with them. They marvel that some of them are still alive. It's a weird thing to listen to.

I have no idea what brought all this to mind this morning. None. :)

No comments: