Friday, January 12, 2007

And They Wonder Why I Avoid Them

Yesterday I was bored at work. I have almost all my projects moving along nicely and had some extra time so I decided to go and help out the production area. Big mistake.

Sometimes I forget that the area is all women. All they talk about is kids and stuff kid related. Plus there is one pregnant woman there (due next Monday), so obviously she was the main topic of ALL the conversations.

They talked about nasty stuff. The Doctor feeling the baby's head with his fingers. The 3 centimeter dialation of something down there. The water breaking (which sounds to me like a huge rush of goo all over the place without any warning). The way the head pops out all misshapen and how they reform it. The soft spot on the head. The saggy skin on the belly. Gah! It went on and on.

Then they were talking about how the woman's body never really recovers. How the hips stay a little wider. How the weight is harder to lose after giving birth. Harder to lose and much easier to gain. How the, uhmmm, you know what, stays stretched out. Not as much fun to... well, you know. That really sucks.

If I didn't think so before I now am totally positive about it. There is nothing beautiful about giving birth. Nothing. Nothing glamourous. Nothing positive. Its gross. I'll never understand why anyone decides to do it.

The pregnant woman even is giving up her dogs. She's 'worried about having them around the baby'. One of them she's had for 11 years. Sick.

Then the thing that pops out doesn't even look human. Not for a few months. It looks like an alien. Not until about 2 years pass is the kid looking presentable.

That's where I come in. That point is the total opposite for me. When they are that age and older then it's playtime and I love having them around. They are like a totally unpredictable, mobile toy for those of us who never really know how to grow up.

But the whole process getting there sucks. I couldn't take the conversation too long so I left after about an hour and got something else going. At least I remember now why I avoid that area. I guess I needed the reminder.

No comments: