Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Heyday Of Blogger

I think the Heyday of Blogger has come and gone. At least for me and for the group of friends I made via blogging. I find it harder and harder to post anymore. Not that I don't have interesting, fun stuff to write about. It's just that I have become totally unmotivated.

I looked back at the past yesterday. Past posting habits. I saw where I'd post several times a day. Then the comments would come. I'd answer. A lot of times there would end up being a back and forth conversation via comments. Not anymore. It looks like its that way for a lot of the people I've known over the years. Maybe we are all burned out? Or burning out?

Maybe we became too familiar and now we are afraid to post honestly. Thats a big part for me. Its why I have the VOX blog now. I keep out the people I don't want in. Somehow that makes me feel good. :)

But there are things there I don't want my 'blogger friends' to know. More forthcoming since I feel a little braver there all the time. But I think I'd offend a lot of this crowd. In a few cases, like Meritt in particular, I value thier friendship too much now to tempt the offense. So I don't do it here.

Thats where we end up, isn't it? Maybe too familiar.

I remember how not too long ago Blogger was the thing. People really became friends. Met each other. Had parties. Fell in and out of love (a few times), traveled a few thousand miles for weddings, exchanged music, candy, had contests with prizes. These days only a handful of the original friends remain. The most consistent are the ones who are either sad and have nothing else to do or are badgered into sticking around because we'd miss them. (I've badgered too.)

Then there are the very few that actually have no other identity than the blog. The ones who beg for comments and therefor affirmation that they are popular & interesting. They know who they are but can't quit. They need the blog. Don't have any other way to interact with the living. Those are the ones I became tired of long ago.

I'm just thinking out loud here (sort of). Bear with me.

Or not.

The thing is, the blog is supposed to be a diary of sorts. Isn't it? Or did it change somewhere along the line and I didn't take notice? I know I allowed mine to change from diary to something else. Thats when it became something less interesting to me. I can be a dope sometimes so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I started this simply because I am a Yankee. I wanted to write all about the team and my exploits being a Yankee in enemy territory. I did that for a while. Now I don't. Shame on me.

The only person (that I know well and keep up with) who has truly been consistent with their blog is Karen. She is always there, always a Yankee, always interesting and doesn't change for any reason. She hasn't allowed anyone or anything to change her style. She is a true blogger. I think her diary is probably just as consistent. She was my influence for starting a blog on my own anyway. I'm just not like her it seems.

I'm still anxious to read a published KB book Cap'n. :)

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this. Maybe just an explanation for why I don't post here so much anymore. (That and the fact that I hate my template but don't feel like going through all the work to fix it.) Sorry if I disappoint any of the few faithful readers I have left. I don't mean to but I've never been one to be able to be a fake anything.

Huh. I think I feel like a fake here. Thats got to be a big part of it. See what thinking out loud (sort of) gets ya?

Anyway, I'm not deleting this blog. I will also post here still. Sometimes every day. Sometimes not. But I do believe that the Heyday of Blogger has come and gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all go through this... just don't post for awhile, but don't delete your blog! It will be snatched up by undesireables and they'll use your blog-following to ill deeds.


;)


Just leave it here to sit for awhile, you'll probably feel like blogging again in a week or two.

grace said...

that's why i left blogger. i tried to fill that empty hole in my heart with myspace... but i think i finally found a home with vox. hehe.

blogger used to be so much fun, huh?

Jody said...

Things go in waves; everything is cicular. I don't get around the blog world like I used to- life keeps me too busy! But I like knowing that when I have time to check in that you are here. :)