Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year?

Oh, OK, I guess it is a New Year. My weekend was quiet. Probably boring to a lot of folks. But I needed the peace and quiet. The past year was full of changes, beginnings, personal compromises, questions about me (by me), and other stuff. I was happy for the distraction of quiet.

We had plans with friends that got cancelled. Nicci was supposed to have her son and his girlfriend overnight. She wasn't about to go out and leave two 16 year olds alone for hours and hours. :) Then they decided to hang with her family at the last minute. So we were left alone with no plans. Not a problem.

It was a quiet evening at home for us then but I didn't mind. I sat and wondered for hours about some of the decisions I made last year and where I was headed this year. I guess we all do that sometimes. I sat with Nicci in front of the fire, sipping wine for a while. That was nice. I also managed to learn more of the game World Of Warcraft. I started paying that after Lisa kept asking me to play so she had a friend to play with. Turns out it is pretty cool. I kinda like it.

I came to the realization on New Years that have it pretty good these days. I shouldn't have any complaints. But I find complaints. I wonder what it is that drives people like me to want something different all the time? To always be looking past what is and to constantly want want what could be? "A bird in the hand... etc..." I guess we'll never really know, will we?

So, a New Years resolution? I never make them. Not seriously. (Right Meritt?) But I will this year. I think one thing sums it up. Be happy. I think I'll try and learn to be happy. With whatever I have. Whatever I don't have. Just happy. Don't take things for granted. Don't look past what's in my face. Just be happy.

I'll also try to have more Starbuck's this year. But that's not really much of a challenge, is it? :)

No comments: