Thursday, June 21, 2007

Have A Prune

Diet people say the weirdest things. Have you noticed that? Nicci has been doing the Atkins diet for a couple of weeks and now she's in that stage where, I think, she has forgotten what real food is like. Today she was going on about how great the diet, no carb, green tea with lemon is that she was sipping. She insisted it was better than the real thing. She also insisted that I should drink it.

Wrong.

Oh, and double wrong.

Diet people all start out either hating the diet foods and drinks or just barely tolerating them. Then they get used to them and suddenly they are "just as good as real food!" Read that again... "real food". They are not just as good. They are (mostly) not even real food. As a matter of fact they are pretty gross. If they were just as good as real food everyone in the U.S. would be sucking them down and no one would be fat. It's all relative. They get used to the taste and forget that they are eating and drinking nasty things. All in the name of vanity.

OK, sometimes it's a health kick. But let's be honest, mostly it's vanity. But none of that crappy Atkins stuff is as good as real food. Get real people.

I was contacted by another old school friend today/yesterday. I got the email this morning so I guess it's today. The Class of 81 site has them beating down my (email) doors now. 2 old friends in 2 weeks! Woo hoo.

Anyway, it was good to hear from him. He and I and my friend Robin were known as the 3 Robs. Rob, Robert and Robin. People called us that in high school. We hung together a lot so it was a natural thing, I guess. Hey, it was cool then! Gimme a break. At any rate, it was good to hear from him.

Such simpler times then, eh? Playing paper football in the lunch room. Wondering who the next girl I'd kiss would be. Living for the after school parties. Drive in movies on Friday nights. Co-Ed gym class. A little school work in between all of it. Funny how it seemed so hard to get by then. Now it seems like a cake walk. Guess thats all relative too.

So my vacation starts in 2 days. A little less than 2 work days, should anyone other than me be counting. Meritt asked what we are doing. We are headed to Williamsburg for a week. With a couple days thrown in there for Virginia Beach too. Nothing to do all week but vege, suck down good wine and margaritas, play golf, get burned on the beach and totally forget about work and the hometown. Just 2 more work days.

Today I get to host the first big meeting with the team I picked for my 'special project'. Whoopie. It will be pretty easy to plan the whole thing. The hard part is getting the people to but into it. It will require some odd hours for a few months. Extra workloads too. Thats the thing with managing things. You get to put in writing how things should work out. It's the workers that get the screws put to them. Basically this whole project has arisen because the curretn big cheeses totally screweed us up the past 2-3 years. Now we have to bail them out. But it's the laborers that get the real brunt of it all. I hate that.

Lisa just asked me if I wanted a prune. She read that a person should eat at least 5 prunes a day and started having prunes. I asked if that made her poop a lot. She said no, but it does give you bad gas. Thats what we need here. A lot of people eating prunes and farting all over the place.

Who goes around offering prunes as snacks?

I remember working with this older guy a few years ago. He would constantly walk up to you and give you a Halls Mentolyptus. (Spelling?) He acted like it was candy or a mint or something. I guess thats probably worse than a prune. At least a prune is good for you all the time. What good is a Halls if you don't have a cold? Plus, the breath! Blah.

Well, I'm late for a morning meeting. Typical. Morning meetings and end of the day meetings all bite. People should know better.

3 comments:

Me said...

You seem rather grumpy today.


As for Atkins - if done correctly you hardly ever eat any of 'bad tasting crap' because you should be eating mostly protein and some veggies, etc. However I suspect Nic is eating the Atkins 'bars' and 'candy' etc. ???

My husband had those too - as he was more prone to eating something sweet. BLECH those things are nasty. But you are right when you stop eating regular foods you do get used to the diet stuff.

BUT that's not a bad thing... it's just bad to you because you aren't used to it and don't like the taste. It's like me trying to drink a 'regular' soda. I can't. I'll throw up. It's a thick, sweet syrupy mess and I just can't swallow it because it's tastes so incredibly awful to me.

But to someone that ONLY drinks regular soda, the taste of Diet is gross.

It's what you get used to.

Now - I thought you were supposed to be doing Atkins too, young man!? What about those pounds you were to drop before vacation?????

Yankeebob said...

Meritt, I sound grumpy? I didn't mean to. It just came out that way I guess. I'm having a great day (so far).

I alternate between diet and regular pepsi daily. Either one is OK with me. The diet I do at work because the sugar in the regular one makes me grumpy after it wears off.

Nicci is eating those Atkins bars. They suck to me.

No, I'm not doing the diet thing. For whatever reason I don't really care about all that stuff. I have started a regular workout routine. Its a slow burn so eventually I'll be where I want to be. But I don't feel a big need to hurry along nor to restrict my diet. I love good food and I'm not giving it up for anything. lol :)

Rene said...

I wanted to lose weight before vacation, but the weight is coming with me. I've been sick all fall and winter with bronchitis, allergy crap, etc. Can't exercise when you can't breathe! I've tried eating the no carb stuff...real food, and it is do-able. Hey, Robin who, and who's the other Robert??