Sunday, September 10, 2006

Bunny Fun

Check out this guy. (Or is it a gal?)



That tube it's in is only 3" x 4". Thats how tiny the bunny is. It ran into my garage when I was mowing. I scared it and 3 more out of a nest they had in my side yard. I didn't even know the nest was there.


Here it is when it ran into the garage. That leg is only 1 1/2" tall.



I managed to catch the bunny by using brand new leather gloves to nudge it into that white tube thingy. Then I put it into the nest again. I then managed to catch all the others and return them to the nest. I noticed then that the nest was showing the babies way too much. I think it was probably fine when they were smaller but it now was too shallow. So I went to the garden and cut out some turf and added it to the cover. The bunnies seemed to like it. :)


Then Momma Bunny stopped by. She started nursing the babies. It was neat to see.



If you look closely enough you will see tiny baby bunny feet sticking out from under Momma.






I am so glad that I didn't mow down the little buggers. That would have sucked. But they are safe now. Momma comes back every evening. Probably morning too but I don't see her. That nest is in the middle of our side yard so I guess we have adopted a family. I don't mind. But soon they will get big and start eating Nicci's garden. Then I wonder if she will still think they are so cute? ;)

3 comments:

Me said...

AHHHH! They are adorable! I'm so glad to hear you made the nest better and left it. ;)

Even when you KNOW the babies will grow up and eat your garden, they are still so adorable when they are tiny.

Anonymous said...

Awww, a happy ending to what could have been a tragedy. Most of the babby bunnies on my property are lunch for the owls and red-tailed hawks. Boo-hoo!

Big Heavy said...

as long as they taste good.