Friday, September 29, 2006

Fun And Headaches

Yesterday went pretty OK. The band was good, better than we all expected. The food was great. The crowd was appreciative. Other than the fact that my guitar crapped out on me during the soundcheck, everything went pretty darn good.

Yeah, my new instrument is broken. Its been finicky during practices but it was always easily fixed. Yesterday during the soundcheck it just wouldn't tune. Then once we finally got it right and started the first song, it went wacky again. I had to stop.

But the show went on. :)

I worked with that stupid thing the whole set but it wouldn't tune and stay that way. Then I grabbed the lead guitarists spare and it was so far out that I never got it right until the set was done. I had only two songs in the second set to play so the day was a bust basically. I did get lots of experience with the soundboard at least. Had to do something with myself.

Today my guitar is headed to the shop. That was frustrating.

But my song went well. I didn't totally screw it up. Actually I got a lot of ,"Gee, I didn't know you could sing" reactions from people. I guess I fooled them good! I can't sing. Lots and lots of practice will help anyone stay in key. Suckers!

So thats the update. I managed to play the very last song because the singer was really nervous and she dragged me up to stand with her. I played without plugging in. She felt better having me there for some reason. It was her debut singing solo in front of a crowd. She does a lot of backup singing in the band but it was her first lead vocal. She did great.

So it went well. Who knows? Maybe I'll volunteer for a second singing part?

Nah! That won't happen anytime soon. :)

2 comments:

Me said...

Ahhh, just don't tell them the truth - you CANT sing, but they were all so drunk they didn't know the difference.


Hee hee hee.

JK!!!

Yankeebob said...

I won't tell them Meritt.

Part of the problem was that it was a company function on company property. No booze allowed!

If we had booze people would have wanted an encore. ;)