Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"Gee Whiz!"

I just heard someone say "Oh my golly!" It made me smile. Everyone has expressions they use and usually they don't even know they are using them.

There are a lot of ways to express yourself. I have lots of things I say. Not too long ago I started saying "Gee whiz!" a lot. I started it as a way to make sure I didn't say swear words in the wrong place. You know, like when the boss is acting retarded and you want to say "WTF?" So now I say "gee whiz". Problem is I say it a lot. I know in some situations people hear that and wonder "WTF?"

I remember when I was with a band a few years ago we did a cover of Feeling Groovy. We all thought it was hilarious to walk around saying "Groovy" all the time. Problem is, once you start something like that it sometimes doesn't go away. I can't tell you how many times I've used the word groovy and someone has looked at me funny. It still happens even after all this time. But sometimes someone will like me using the word groovy. Then I wonder what they say without thinking?

The worst time I ever fell into that trap was when I was in the Summer between high school and college. I had a friend who liked to make fun of hippies. He would sometimes look at something and start saying "Wow! Far out man!" Far out. Where the hell did that come from anyway. So one day at college someone said something and I said "Far out man!" Totally making fun like my friend. But they took it as me being serious. One guy looked at me and said, "Far out?" Then they started laughing at me. I felt like a total dork. But how can you explain that you were trying to be funny without looking like you were covering up? Can't.

These days I just listen and wonder at what people say. Not long ago people would say "Word!" I still don't get that one. Others would say "All in that!" That's a weird one. It would be like this... I would say I was going to the Yankee game and someone would look at me and say "All in that!" Confused? Yeah, me too.

Today I think I'll listen to people more closely. I'll try to remember things they say, expressions they use. Then I'll try to post some. Tell me some of your expressions. I am curious to see what other people in other places say to express themselves. Who knows? Maybe I can replace my "gee whiz" with something more groovy. ;)

4 comments:

Me said...

I still hear 'word' once in a while and not only don't 'get' it but hate it. I think it's a greeting, like "Hey! What's the word from your end of the world?" but... if that's what they mean, then darnit, say it.

The main huge gigantic phrase I heard waaaaaaay too much last year and still hear once in a while and want to throw up (or slap the person as hard as I can across their face) is when they say; "My Bad".

WTF? SHUT UP!! It doesn't make sense! It's not even grammatically correct! It sounds stupid!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Meritt -- I heard almost puked when I heard my 45-year-old brother say, "My bad."

MY BAD?! What does that mean?!?!?!? It's only one more syllable to "My mistake." Please.

I also hate to hear "24/7" -- written it's okay, but I hate to hear it.

The one that stuck with me and I can't shake from the 70's is "Neat." Everything is NEAT and COOL to me (unless I'm swearing, of course), and I still am desperate to expand my vocabulary from those two!

And I LOVE "Oh my golly!" -- it's incredibly quaint!

Anonymous said...

Some of my phrases:

Good grief! - Yes, it's very Charlie Brown, but it keeps me from swearing in front of my kids.

Groovy - Like you said, very 70s hippie. Maybe that's why I like it.

Cool beans - It makes no sense, that's why I use it.

I've even been known to say I dig something, or I'll call a guy a cat. Mostly stuff picked up from my husband and conversations with his fellow sound guys. Maybe I'm a 70s throwback, after all. Kind of odd, since I was in elementary school in the 70s.

My daughter says, "Oh, snap!" A lot. Makes me feel old because I don't quite understand what it's supposed to mean.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I forgot... I also say dagnabbit a lot. Another word that keeps me from swearing. I happen to like it because it's so funny-sounding.

Okay. I'm done now.