Friday, August 03, 2007

Can I Get A Witness?

I remember when Oldsmobile was something to be proud of. Now it’s gone. I think it’s sad. I’ve been thinking this since Wednesday night. I was driving home after dinner with JG, music blaring some great 80’s tunes, feeling a little melancholy anyway thanks to the memories the music brings. Then I saw an Oldsmobile in front of me. I smiled. It wasn’t an old one. It was just an Olds. It made me think of how sad it is when things end.

I had an Olds. It was and still is the favorite car I have ever had. It was a 1978 Olds Delta 88. Big ass car, big ass engine, lots of fun to drive around. Total luxury and power and sucky gas mileage. But I adored it.

I would take it to the beach almost weekly. Alone or with friends, it didn’t matter. Most of the time in the evenings I would grab a 6-pack and sit on the hood of “The Old Girl” (her nickname) and watch the sunset. Most of those times I ended up sleeping there.

My friends would always call me and ask to borrow that car. Trips and shopping, whatever. It could hold a ton of stuff and still be comfortable. Plus it was safe. No one hitting that car would survive. But you might feel a little bump and maybe have to stop to see what happened. Lol

Now there are no more Oldsmobiles being made. Too bad. I think it is a bad reflection on the modern society that we can be so greedy that we destroy things like our car industry (ie: unions suck). But I don’t feel like going there right now so………..

The music that night was great. I heard old Journey, Springsteen, The Cult, Tom Petty, Grand Funk Railroad, The Scorpions, Def Leppard and a few more I probably forgot about. Almost every song brought back a specific memory or instance from the past. It was great.

I think it’s cool that we have to ability to reflect on our past sometimes. Songs can be triggers to moments we may have forgotten about. The GFR song that came on was Some Kind Of Wonderful. It reminded me of a time when some friends and I thought we’d start a band. The problem was that none of us ever played any instruments. I had 1 year of Viola lessons at that point but that was it. So we chose songs we could work on that hid stuff like not playing instruments. That song basically is singing with a Bass background. All I can say was that it was a good thing we couldn’t play instruments. We butchered the song pretty well without them. Who knows how bad it would have been adding more to it. Lol

But when I hears the song it took me right back to that nasty old broken down garage where we talked each other into believing we were going to be rock-n-roll superheroes. It was fun thinking about it.

1 comment:

Rene said...

My daughter drives an Oldsmobile Alero! She loves her car!! I love that GFR song!! I didn't know you wanted to be in a band! It doesn't surprise me, but I just didn't know it! Saw Robin last night! Very cool time. Just a few minutes, but it was good! Looking forward to the end of the month big time!!! Luv ya!