Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Impressions

I have so many impressions of my old friends in my head since the reunion thingy. I sorta went into it with an open mind knowing that 26 years apart would make for some interesting changes. But the one biggest surprise was that none of us changed all that much. Appearance wise, sure. We are all a little softer and rounder and that just makes for better squeezability. But the personalities are about the same.

Kent seems to be the same guy I knew. He is funny, smart and only semi-serious about things around him. Much like I see myself. I rarely answer someone with a serious reply the first time I respond. He and I are a lot alike. Plus he has the gift of great one liners even when you don't expect them. He also never seemed to age much. He looks the same as I remember him.

Rene is the same adorable babe I remember. She also didn't seem to age much. She and Kent. She is so sweet about her family and showed us this great video of her grandson shaving. It was hilarious. Plus she still looks so good. She always had the prettiest hair and eyes and nothing has changed (thanks for that). I know she'll cringe with me saying that because I think she hears it a lot. But it's true. She is also so direct. More so than I am (which did surprise me). I do remember her being like that but it still surprised me.

Robin, well what can I say? She is still Robin and I say that with great respect and admiration. She was always the most independent person I knew. Also the one who was the most adventurous. Nothing has changed except the level to which she has stepped it up. She has her own business, a home in Spain, travels to Europe regularly, hunts alligators one day and swims with stingrays the next. She still either wants to race dirt bikes or is still racing them. I didn't get that whole story. The woman has the most energy, just like always. She was disappointed that none of us wanted to keep going until at least 3 a.m. I'm sure she did though.

Rob is the same cool, laid back guy I remember. He is hilarious (as always) and kept me laughing. Not much seems to rattle him. He also remembers people and things that I could never recall without help. I remember how he was always into rap music and I totally forgot to ask him if he remembered "Rappers Delight". In high school he memorized the whole thing and would constantly recite it. Daily. To the point where I memorized most of it and never heard the record.

Rob was the only one to bring his significant other. His wife is adorable. A very classy (and good looking) woman. Made me feel good for him to have someone like that. Nicci would get along well with her I think. Too bad she didn't go along. Next visit will be at my house though so we'll rectify that one.

Rob set up the place to meet and even had these cool chips that were good for free drinks. We drank all evening without spending a penny. That was a great surprise to everyone.

During the evening several things kept happening that surprised me. One was the realization of all the deaths of people we all knew, which seems to have been a lot! A lot of classmates have died and some teachers as well. One of our favorite Teachers died in a car accident with his wife a few years ago just before Christmas. They were returning from Christmas shopping and never made it home. That was a shock to hear.

I was surprised at how much the others have managed to see old classmates. That’s the impression I got anyway. Rob seems to manage to run into many of them. I have never seen any except for one since graduation. Well, 2 including the visits Rob made to where I worked many years ago. I don't know how they do it.

All in all it was a great evening. I will try to relate some of the conversations soon (before I forget them forever). This is getting too long right now plus I need to get going. One thing I know now for sure though is this, I didn’t realize I missed my friends so much. Thinking back now, I think the past couple decades would have been much better had I kept in touch. Live and learn, I guess.

2 comments:

Rene said...

You are just too sweet! I do get tired of hearing how pretty my hair is, but like I said, these days, if it wasn't for my hair and hooters, I wouldn't get any compliments. Ok, now the eye comment I never get for obvious reasons!! I hope me being direct was ok! I don't tend to beat around the bush....there's no point! Get to the point at hand and go with it! Life is too short! And I do get how you missed us, cuz after I went back to my parents, I realized how few "true" friends I have and how much I was looking forward to seeing all of you again!!!

Yankeebob said...

Rene, the blue of your eyes is beautiful. No matter what. I have always thought that. xo :)