Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pictures Of Lily

Wanna know how to shock someone? It goes something like this:

Everyone around knows that Lisa is my best friend in the world. We haven’t had a lot of time together recently and it is apparently obvious. Today the busy-body of the company approaches me and says (in a quiet, conspiratorial way) "I haven’t seen you and Lisa together recently. Is something wrong? You know you can talk to me about it if you need to.” Immediately I was irritated. With the faux concern, the doe eyed look like they really were worried for us. I know you better woman. So I said, “Oh, is she mad at me? That’s ok. If she is mad at me. Its one less person I have to care about in the world.”

The shocked look on her face was so great I almost laughed right there. But I just stared at her without expression. She said “Really?” and I just shrugged. Then she looked at me funny and walked away.

That was fun.

Does anyone else find the word ‘Analyst’ amusing? I wouldn’t want that title in the business world. To me it could mean a lot of things. Like someone who screws people over a lot, hence the ‘anal’ in the name. If it’s a sexual term then hey, I am proud to know you. But when someone tells me they are some kind of ‘analyst’ it always makes me smile.

There are a few old people who work here. I mean really old people. Women. It makes me sad to see it. They are old enough to retire. I wonder why they aren’t. I wonder a lot but I don’t ask. Don’t want to hear old people sob stories. It may make me feel a little sensitive to them. Can’t have that.

Two of them walked by a group of us this morning and one of the Maintenance guys started sniffing the air, claiming he smelled moth balls. It annoyed me a lot. Respect for elders seems to be a thing of the past anymore. There was no need for that comment and it still bugs me.

This weekend is the big High School Friends Reunion. 5 of us out of almost a thousand in the class. Imagine. Lol! I keep wondering if we will still like each other. It could go either way I think. I was a dork then. Probably still am. But how would I know it? I wonder if we will be surprised at each other’s appearance too. I look very different. Apparently we all do. I think about these things and then I realize that I am the only one who doesn’t know what the answers are. The other 4 have kept in touch over the years. I have been absent. The 4 closest friends I had from high school and I am the only absentee.

Guess we know who the weakest link here is?

The song title “Pictures of Lily” is there because I have that song in my head today. If you don’t know it check it out. It’s by The Who and it tells the story of a young boy comforted by a fantasy. Once he finds out it is just a fantasy he is devastated. His life is much better thinking the fantasy was real. Living a fantasy isn’t the best thing to do but sometimes it’s all that keeps someone sane. The song is in my head because that seems like life in general to me. If we have to face too much reality head on, all the time, it kills us. Best to live on the edge of it all I think.

Welcome to Philosophy 101 people.

Time to go. I have a fantasy date to hang with for the afternoon. Hope I get lucky this time. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Rene said...

Wow, I had no idea you were worried about what we looked like, or whether or not we still liked each other! Good grief!! I look the same, just a little extra baggage, but I'm working on that, and it doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, as long as you're the same guy I remember, only a tad older! I care NOTHING about looks, as a person is not defined by their outer appearances, it's all from the inside! I know you don't have to worry about anything on my side! You know I luv ya, and that's that! I'm so looking forward to seeing you and everyone!! Oh, tell the stupid bastard that made the old joke that will be him in 40 or so years!!! Tell him to start stocking up on moth balls..ignorant piece of crap!!! Ok, I feel better!!! xoxoxo