Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Engineers Are In A League Of Their Own

Here's something I have noticed about Engineers since I started this new job. First, let me qualify this; I mean Mechanical Engineers not Chemical Engineers. Chemical Engineers are also in their own league but that story will wait for now.

OK, the 2 main Engineers here are older so they have the established engineered belly. This is the big round belly that they get from just hanging out at meetings and telling everyone else they are wrong about stuff. Judging from the size of these 2 bellies, these guys are really, really good at their jobs.

I know first hand about one of them since he supports the equipment in my area. He always has a better approach than anyone else. You don't even have to ask him for it. He just has it and gives his opinions freely. Freely and in great detail. Detailed enough that I have now had to resort to finding ways to excuse myself from his long ass speeches. Nice guy but very long winded.

Now this is a unique attribute to the older Mechanical Engineers. When you have a younger one, say recently out of college, they are the opposite. They have themselves a good old time soaking up all the info they can and being the 'go-getter' type of person. They tend to act like they are trying to prove themselves every day. They are always into something and full of wind, piss & excitement. That's mostly what I've seen anyway. I guess they haven't learned that they know everything yet. It takes a while. But the older they get the more they slow down. They also learn to grow the big Engineered belly. Then they get more opinionated. Like these 2 guys I see every day.

Strange phenomena.

I walked by them yesterday and they were talking very animatedly about some project and how someone hadn't handled it the way they thought it should have been handled. They almost had their big bellies touching as they stood face to face. There was almost no room to get around them in the hallway but it didn't matter. When I saw those big guts almost rubbing and the way they were jiggling as those 2 guys got into their speeches, I turned around and took a different route. Laughing all the way.

I'm a bad person sometimes eh? But I do like people. They amuse me to no end. I think people were put here just for my amusement sometimes. :)

1 comment:

Me said...

I was thinking about this. I only know 2 engineers. One is fairly good looking, about 38 and although small in stature, isn't overweight and is in good shape.

The other is 39 and looks amazing. Runs in marathons all over the united states.

I guess maybe I just have a glimpse of what they'll look like in another 10 years? :)