Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sit Here Please

I was sitting in another training thing yesterday when I noticed this. A guy came in late and started looking around for a place to sit. We had been assigned seats and name tags were in front of them but you know how it is when you are late, you just try to find the easiest available seat so you don't disrupt and/or draw attention to yourself. Well, the only open seat was next to me. But that wasn't his assigned seat.

He looked around, saw that seat, looked right at me and headed toward it. No real emotion showing on his face. But when the HR lady saw where he was headed she stopped him and pointed to where his seat actually was. When he looked over and saw that he was seated beside an attractive woman he was all smiles. He looked at me again and gave me an almost imperceptable shrug and headed ove to his spot, big grin on his face.

I found that hilarious! One reason is that he thought he wasn't being obvious but we noticed. Another reason I found it funny was that I have reacted that way before too. Yes, guilty as charged. I like to think I am way less obvious about it though. There are times when one seat is preferable to another. If I had to choose between the two and the situation was the same (he is new and knows no one) I would have headed right to the empty spot beside her. But that's just me. I am way more comfortable befriending women.

The best part was that he was seated next to my newest friend, the one I've been getting to know since the first day. So later she told me how he was all schmoozy and trying to be a Don Juan (her words). He even asked her to have lunch with him. But lunch was provided so that didn't work out. Poor guy.

I'm curious to hear whether anyone else has seen a reaction like this one. Or who else has reacted that way. I think it's a common thing. I also think people are funny. Being back at a place with lots of people again has provided me with lots of blog material. :)

No comments: