Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Exasperated

So things have been a little crazy lately. Work is sooo busy. Fun busy but busy nontheless. We are trying to get everything in order to start making 'the good stuff' next month in my area. It is taking a while. Mostly because of the "Roadblock People". You know who they are right? The people who always seem to slow down the works. Not always for good reasons either.

For example, one guy has been "working on" a problem for 5 weeks now. We were in a meeting yesterday and when the subject came up for update he gave his standard answer, "I'm working on it." Well, the problem is something I identified the first week I was here and every other day I ask him about the progress. All I get is his standard answer, "I'm working on it." Well, as of yesterday he isn't. That pissed me off so I went to someone who knew the contractor we needed and then got in contact with them myself. They are coming today to look it over and by the 1st we'll have the issue resolved. He obviously never even called since the company was so responsive and helpful. Later he walks by and says "I guess you know by now that the contractor is coming tomorrow?" Yeah pal, I figured that out already.

The other roadblock guy is one of those who has to disagree just for the sake of being able to disagree. He sits in meetings (or has private meetings with people trying to influence them) and takes the opposite side of almost every issue. No one can figure out why most of the time. Yesterday at the same meeting that Mr. Working On It pissed me off this guy started arguing about things we all had already decided upon 2 weeks ago. Everything was supposed to be in order and moving along. Suddenly everything has been stopped because he is waffling. He was holding up needed paperwork because he didn't agree with the committee. Now we were behind again. That really got to me. I asked him point blank why he was rehashing old stuff that we already had worked past. Then I asked him if he just didn't want the project to succeed. He ended up agreeing to do his part. We'll see how that goes.

Work stuff! Sheesh!

Of course at home I am in the middle of having a new roof installed. That is annoying. It always is while it's happening. The guys are OK but have you noticed how no one ever goes along with what the sales guys claim? They promised to clean up and remove all trash daily. Do they? Nope. Crap is piled everywhere. They said they would keep the driveway clear. Do they? Nope. Nicci and I both had no way into our home yesterday. They said they wouldn't harm the garden. They have mangled two plants and keep dropping nails and debris all over the place. I don't want to be mowing and hit nails so I go out every evening and comb the ground for anything they have left lay there. I do it while they are still there so they can see I'm not impressed with their cleaning habits. But that's all to be expected with contractors I guess. Once they are done the roof will look great (plus it's guaranteed for life) and I'll do a thorough clean up myself.

These days are very busy indeed. It's not too bad to deal with but it can get to me at times.

There is lots of other stuff going on right now too. But I'm tired of typing. Need more coffee. Like... right now.

4 comments:

Me said...

The work issues would really be pissing me off. But the house issues would be stressing me out.

Maybe they meant they would clean up the area 'after' they were done????

Yankeebob said...

Yeah Meritt, the work issues are pissing me off. Unfortunately for those individuals who are keeping our progress down, I am more comfortable with this scene now and I am not keeping my mouth shut anymore. They really are learning that I am not like the people before me in this position.

As for the contractors, we got it in writing that they would clean up everything daily. They are for the most part, but not like I wanted. That will be over soon. Tomorrow I think. :)

Anonymous said...

The roof is "guaranteed for life." The life of what/who? You-the owner, the contractor, the roofer's business, the shingles? What? So often I go through the same mess you do, but hearing you talk about it makes me laugh.

Yankeebob said...

Hi Bonnie. The roof is guaranteed for the life of the house. We will be dead before another roof is needed. It's cool too! Like a slate roof but made with titanium and aluminum. Looks almost like real slate.