Monday, August 07, 2006

Happy Blogiversary To Me

It is/was the 2 year blogiversary for Yankeebob last week. Thursday to be exact. I have held off on the celebration on purpose. Simply because I wasn't sure if I would keep going.

Yeah, I know everyone says that when they reach another year. But I was serious about it. Especially after reading through the first 6 months of the blog. Simply put, I liked it back then. The first 6 months were real and honest and the last 6 months have been stinky, lame and boring. I have lost it.

But then I started thinking about what the difference is. Why has the blog changed so much? So much that I don't like it anymore? Good questions. So I asked myself this: "Self, wtf have you been doing differently? What is the reason that you were OK back then and now you are not?" Then I re-read some of the original stuff and I realized this; I wrote whatever I felt like writing. I published whatever opinions and whatever content I wanted. No matter what. Damn the torpedos!

I no longer do that. I have fallen into the trap that I see a lot of bloggers realizing they have fallen into. They get to be concerned about who is reading. They cater to what they think will be popular and what they believe will be interesting for a certain group of readers. They become entertainers and not bloggers. They even go so far as to beg for comments. (That one made me crazy!)

The blog is a diary. Or it's supposed to be like one at least. It is supposed to cronicle a person's trip through this world and hopefully get a little insight from blog friends along the way. It's also a way to see the world without really travelling. Learning about other ways of life via the internet is pretty cool. At least that's my take on it.

I guess it's OK to want to be an entertainer. I like that sometimes too. But mostly I want a record of my thoughts and stuff. My stuff scares even me sometimes and lately I just keep it all inside and post very little of it. That has to change.

So I am giving it another go. I will attempt to be Yankeebob again. I won't be ending this blog as I had planned on doing. I know a lot of fellow bloggers that have experienced the same thing. I think a few of them have managed to get back to their roots, so to speak. I think I can. I know I'm going to try.

So let's celebrate the 2 year blogiversary of Yankeebob today, eh? Let's hope the next year will be as good as it can get. (I wonder what that means?)

1 comment:

Me said...

I'll like ya no matter what you write! :)