Friday, August 18, 2006

Pretty People

Yesterday we had one of those company update meetings. A review of the past quarter. I went with JC. We sat there before it started chatting and watching people. She and I like doing that (as if you didn't know that about me). In a quiet moment she just casually mentioned that there were a lot of attractive people here these days. I thought about it and looked around and realized that she was right. There sure were.

Then she and I started picking out people we thought were attractive to see if we had the same opinion. We were about 75% of the time agreed. It's funny how that works between different people. I rarely can tell what kind of guy a woman will find attractive but I usually can tell what type of woman is attractive to either a man or woman.

There was one woman who sat nearby who we agreed about. She reminded me of a blond Claudia Black. Not beautiful but very elegant and had a kind of grace about her. She wasn't a person you would immediately glance at and say "Wow, she's pretty." But she carried herself in a way that added to her aura.

There was the big cheeses secretary who was running the show that we both agreed on too. She is pretty, dark hair and a nice tan. Kinda tall and slim. She looks like a stay-at-home-Mom type but obviously shes not. She was wearing one of those denim dresses that had thin straps on the shoulders and was long enough to go to her ankles. She had some sexy strappy sandles on too, which I love. The whole look was sexy but subdued. It was like she was hot but didn't know it. Probably just dressed for comfort but managed to look sexy doing it.

Then we started talking about the guys. There was this one guy who sat in the front. He is a good looking guy but J has the feeling that he knows he is so he bugs her. I thought he was Ok, nothing special but what do I know. He seemed to me like a model from a Sears catalog. Pleated pants with the Izod polo shirt, slicked black hair. That "I'm so way cool" attitude. Good looking but didn't give the impression of being personable. Made me wonder what he was like away from the spotlight.

Another guy came and sat near us who was pretty good looking. One of those who joked easily and smiled all the time. He looked like he worked out a lot and dressed in a casual way that made him look like he didn't care for anything but comfort. He was nice, friendly and good looking. One that we both agreed on.

When my friend Lindsey walked in J elbowed me and said "Theres a pretty girl. Very down to earth and smiles all the time. I like her." I just smiled because she really is that. Shes one who is the girl-next-door type of pretty and she is simply what you see. No airs about her at all.

I guess what we got from all this was interesting. There are some pretty people who know they are pretty and that makes them less pretty to others. There are some who are just themselves and that makes them even more attractive. There are some who try hard to be pretty and that is not always the best thing. Mostly I think that almost everyone can have something attractive about themselves.

Then I started thinking about what it must be like to go through life knowing you are one of the 'pretty people'. Knowing you are physically attractive must be like a super power or something. It would make a person more confident in themselves and that usually translates into good things. I would like to spend a little time trying on that identity. I think it would be fun to experience. But then again, maybe it would make me an arrogant ass. Yeah, I coule see that about me. Maybe. My personality isn't like that but who knows? Perhaps personality is the one thing that gives everyone has a chance to be pretty. Being an arrogant ass makes one ugly. I think I'd prefer to avoid that.

I have no idea where this discussion is headed. I am typing and thinking as I go. I'd like to hear opinions about the subject. Don't be shy. I think all my blog friends are pretty anyway. :)

1 comment:

Me said...

J is right on the guy that isn't good looking because he 'knows' he is. I have never given guys like that a glance... I specifically have always looked away and usually let my eyes glaze over them as if they are part of the room decor just to 'stick it them' a little.

I agree with you that it's easier to pick out attractive women... men and women can usually agree on that, while men are more difficult. It's also easier for more men to be 'attractive' than women - as men are still great looking with a little meat on them, gray hair, etc. they can still pull it off, ya know?