Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Feel So Ashamed!

I did something that I had sworn I would never do again. Something so bad, so disgusting, so heinous that I still feel a little dirty today. I said I wouldn't lower myself to this level again, but alas, I have fallen.....

.....I watched a Tom Cruise movie.

I know, I know, i hear your sighs of sadness and feel your disgust. I broke down and watched War of the Worlds. I hope you can all forgive me.

I succomed to the temptation because I loved the book. I have read it a few times. The movie made back in the 50's is a fave of mine because it's just so campy. I love "B" movies anyway. So when I kept seeing it on HBO I finally watched it.

Basically I didn't mind it. Cruise was.... well, Cruise. He played that character just like the guy from Risky Business. Just grown up. Anyone else sense that too? It just seemd like the same guy with some years on him. I can see him being the same guy too. That Risky Business guy probably ended up like the WOTW guy did.

But Dakota Fanning was awesome! I thought she did a great job. I was impressed with her. She made me want to jump in there and fight to keep her safe.

I guess the movie wasn't as bad as I had expected. It got such crappy reviews that I thought it would really suck. It didn't. Some of the effects were cool! I loved the way the big machine came up out of the ground the first time. I also thought it was cool the way the people turned to dust when they got zapped by the alien ray but their clothes still kept going.

I also liked the part where the character played by Tim Robbins got it. I'm not a fan of him anymore either. (But he did play the part well.)

Anyway, I hope my blog friends aren't too disgusted with me. My only excuse for my weakness is that the original story is a classic and I really was curious. I didn't mind the movie at all so that was a nice surprise. If you haven't seen it and you don't have anything else to do and it doesn't cost you a penny it's an OK time waster. Check it out as long as it doesn't take away from anything else like organizing your sock drawer, cleaning the toilet, whittling a toothpick out of a giant maple tree, you know, the important things in life. ;)

2 comments:

Me said...

Not only did I see it in the theater but we own the movie. LOL.

I thought it was ok up until I saw the little seed pod things come up from the earth and turn into what looked to me like a huge "spider hopper" which is what I called the strange mutant insects we had when we lived in Nashville. It looked like a spider and a Daddy Long Leg mated... so our family called them "Spider Hoppers" and THAT is what the aliens looked like.

Ruined the whole dang movie for me.

(But the Tom character was sooooo much like my husband during the first half that all I can think about when I watch is that if we ever divorced that would be EXACTLY Coffeekid and NatureGirl going to visit their Dad. LOL).

Yankeebob said...

"Spider Hoppers" is a great description Meritt. They are weird looking but thats how H.G. Wells described them in the original story.

Tom's character being like your husband is funny. I guess he really does need you then. :)

I can't get over the image of a spider and a Daddy Long Leg mating. That is just too funny.