Wednesday, August 23, 2006

People Watching At Starbuck's

As most of my blog friends know I love people watching. It amuses me. Today I got to have some fun with it.

Nicci and I drove together today and on the way down the mountain we were behind this young girl in a KIA. She kept playing with her hair the whole time. She was twisting it and twirling it while she drove. Personally, I didn't care but Nicci kept commenting on it.

Once we were on the main highway we got seperated from Kia Girl but when we decided to go to Starbuck's there she was, right in front of us again. Nicci said she wondered if she was still playing with her hair and once we got close enough we saw that she was. I just smiled and mentioned that I sure hoped she was going to Starbuck's too. Nicci just said, "Oh no." Guess where the girl went? ;)

On our way inside this 'Cool Dude' drove up in this truck that you had to see to believe. It was just a Dodge truck but it was sitting up high. It had those pipes that came from under the body and stuck straight up behind the cab. They made it loud. It had a home made hood scoop and home made flame decorations on the side. It had racing stickers all over the windows. It had two different styles of big chrome wheels and fancy running boards along the side. too bad the paint was all faded and even looked like it was off the hood altogether. I couldn't wait to see the driver.

Didn't have to wait long. He roared into a spot and jumped out of the truck. He was tall and thin, not what I expected from seeing that redneck looking truck. He was dressed all in black. Even his shoes. He had black spikey hair and a big silver chain hanging on his hip. I guess it was attached to his wallet. He half sprinted into the store, looking over his shoulder at us as he closed the door in front of us. We were about 5 feet from it. I guess we were slow?

Once we were in Starbuck's in line I watched Kia Girl order and stand there twirling her hair in her fingers. I thought for a second if she knew she did that. Then when she looked at me I smiled and said, "Nice hair." She looked confused and said, "Huh?" I just smiled innocently and said, "You have nice hair." She still looked confused and said thanks. Nicci elbowed me hard in the ribs. :)

Then Cool Dude ordered. But the ordering was the best part. He called every guy there 'Bro'. We were all his brothers. Then a guy working there came up to talk with him about his truck. He was a really good looking guy. I remember thinking that he probably was popular with women because of his looks. He was sort of tall, light brown hair, bright blue eyes and just all over handsome. Except for one flaw. The one thing about him was that he had shaved both sides of his head but the middle. The mohawk hair was pretty long and very wavy. It totally ruined his look. If he had left his hair in a normal style of some kind he was sure to be somethingof a hottie to the women (and maybe to some guys). But as it was, he looked kind of like a bad-ass-wanna-be-pretty-boy. It was strange. He also was friends with the Cool Dude. Strike two. They called each other Bro a lot. I thought they might hug.

When Mo Hawk waited on us it was apparent he was a true blond. On top of every other disappointment he was a dope too. He had to reenter our order 3 time before he got it right. How hard is an order of '2 grande lattes'? Then he couldn't get the card to work right. He kept sliding the card and it would beep and he would stare at it and give out these heavy sighs. Another guy came over to him and turned the card over and slid it for him. The new guy acted annoyed too so I guess Mo Hawk was consistant with his air-headedness. Then he told us the total, twice the actual total. That had to be fixed. He had rung us up twice. Then when it was fixed he still told us the wrong total. I saw it was right on the screen so I just ignored it.

As we turned to head out I stopped and asked if he had trouble sleeping. He asked why. I said that I thought with his hair like that it would make for some strange air currents at night. That maybe it would be hard to sleep with the air blowing around his head the way it did. He laughed and said he slept fine. He didn't notice any temperature changes at all.

Nicci just kept on walking.

As we headed over to get our coffee a guy in nice professional looking attire came in. He looked normal enough until I saw that his sun glasses were on his forehead. He had not bothered to take them off. Nor had he bothered to push them all the way up on top of his head. They were on his forehead, resting on his eyebrows. I stopped ead and stared at him. I started to ask if his forehead needed protection from the sun but Nicci grabbed me and made me leave. Spoilsport.

I really wanted to know!

6 comments:

Me said...

"I thought they were going to hug"
made me smile.

and ummm... the mohawk airhead pissed me off.

Lastly - my husband wears his sunglasses like that too. ;)

Yankeebob said...

Cool Meritt, you can ask your husband for me then. Right? :)

Anonymous said...

One of the guys who used to work for my husband wore his sunglasses like that. I wondered if that was another one of those "in" things, like wearing the crotch of your pants at your knees. *shrug*

Sounds like you and Nicci met up with some real winners!

Cindy-Lou said...

You're fun. I'd let you ask questions.

Me said...

*** ANSWER ***

Since Coffeehusband wears his sunglasses that way I asked him tonight 'why?'. He said that back when he had a little more hair (eh eh eh) the sunglasses would leave an 'indent' on his hair when he put them back down. It would look ugly and make him look like a peanut head (which I'm not supposed to tell you he said "peanut head" but with the indentation in the middle it's basically a peanut shape. So he started to put them on his forehead so it wouldn't mess up his hair.

Became a habit. :)

There ya go.

Yankeebob said...

Ahhh Meritt, the old 'anti-peanut head' trick. Ok, I can buy that one. I once had hair too. :)