Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Is It The Age?

I'm feeling a little old. It came about thanks to a couple of interactions I've had recently with younger people.

First, I went to WalMart to see if they had the movie Casablanca. I really had the urge to see that movie over the weekend. I had it on video but I got rid of all the videos and I never got the DVD. So I'm looking around and the girl working there comes over to ask if she can help. I told her I was looking for Casablanca. I just expected that everyone knew that one. It's a classic. Well, her blank stare told me differently.

No problem. Not everyone knows the classics. Then she said "Maybe it's over here." and took me to the DVD television shows. I told her it was a movie and she took me to the new releases, explaining how everything was in alphabetical order. So I told her it was an old movie not a new release. She then takes me to the bargain bin. She said, "This is where some of the older movies are. There are some in here that are at least 5 years old." I just smiled and said the movie was at least 55-60 years old. Another blank stare.

Then I said, "You've never seen it? You know, Humphrey Bogart?" She just smiled and said she had never even heard of it or him. Huh. Imagine. So I took her to the classic aisle and showed her the Bogart collection pack they had. I recommended she see at least Casablanca. She really wasn't too interested.

Then yesterday I was at lunch with my friend Lindsey. We were talking about going for sushi next week and I said I owed her so I would 'spring' for the sushi. She said, "What does that mean?" I didn't get what she was asking. She said, "What do you mean 'spring for sushi'?" I just smiled and explained that I would take her for sushi and pay for it. I know that term is mostly heard with old farts but it never dawned on me that someone wouldn't know what it meant.

Maybe it's the age? Maybe I am too easily surprised about these things? I don't have a lot of interaction with younger people so I guess it makes sense that I would be surprised. I'm not that old but I'll tell you, stuff like that makes me feel older than I am.

2 comments:

Me said...

The movie scenario I can understand. Many of the teenagers (meaning MY teenagers) friends have never heard of or seen Gone With the Wind or know who Scarlett O'Hara is.... (gasp!). My kids do. LOL. Actually my kids have not only seen, but LIKE the original "Cheaper By the Dozen" even! Yes, now that is going WAY BACK there.


The "spring for sushi" surprises me. Really... most young people still know what that means. Maybe Lisa just had a brain fart? LOL.

Reel Fanatic said...

Any parent who lets their offspring reach anywhere near grown up without watching "Casablanca" should be charged with neglect, if not child abuse (OK, maybe that's a bit much)