Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Super Premium Post

I just don't know the difference between Premium and Super Premium stuff. Anyone out there able to explain to me what the difference is? Maybe I don't even know what the difference between Premium and Regular stuff is. The ice cream place near us has "Super Premium" ice cream. Its good stuff but it doesn't seem any different than other ice cream. The sugar container beside my coffee pot at work is "Premium Sugar". The stuff I have at home is the same but it doesn't say it is Premium.

I guess modern advertising doesn't work on me. To me, if something says "Super Premium" I expect to notice a difference. Otherwise it just means "More Expensive".

I've noticed more and more station wagons on the road lately. Not just normal, every-day station wagons either. Mercedes and BMW wagons. This morning I saw a SAAB Station Wagon. Those cars can't be inexpensive. I'm not real sure why someone would spend so much on a station wagon. That normally will mean kids are in the thing. We all know what kids do to a car. If I had that kind of money I'd wait until the kids were older and then spend it on a nice car, not waste it on something for them to destroy.

I remember when I was a kid there were station wagons everywhere. It was very common. I guess the mini-van has replaced all those. Too bad too. I remember one of my friends parents had this huge Chevy wagon. It was white with wood grain on the sides. In the back there was this seat that folded down so it was out of the way when not needed but when it was upright it faced out the back window. We always begged and begged for the parents to lift that seat up so we could ride looking out the back. It was the coolest thing ever.

I remember the day my Dad found the wagon he wanted. He wasn't a fan of big cars and one day he found this 1967 Mercury Comet Station Wagon. It was baby blue with wood grain on the sides. It was considered a mid-size car I guess. But he absolutely loved that car. Talk about something making someone happy! It was funny for a while how he would keep suggesting we take a ride for no real reason. We did take a lot of rides that year.

It had this weird quirk too. The front passenger door sort of stuck half way when you opened it. It would get to a point, then stop and you would have to bump it a little and it would make this loud pop sound and open all the way. My Dad swore he'd never fix it. "Gives it something unique" he would always say. "No one elses car sounds like that." lol

After he was killed I remember feeling bad that the car went to someone else. He probably would have kept that thing forever. Then a few years later my friends and I were running around just outside of town when we came across an abandoned car that looked just like my Dad's old car. I was sure it was his so I tested the passenger side door. It was the car. The thing was sitting there all rusted and unkept. It brought tears to my eyes. Funny how that stuff happens, eh? If I knew where that thing was today I'd buy it and get it back into good shape.

Speaking of mini-vans, I saw one this morning that had lightening style racing stripes all along the sides. Why? It had all the mini-van stuff on it too. The shades on the windows where the baby sits, the baby-on-board yellow window thing, the bumper stickers about how their elemtary school kid was doing. But it had big old lightening stripes all over it. There's someone who's not quite buying into their lifestyle. Thats the impression I got.

Today I feel very introspective. The days are running together now and I'm feeling like I'm not going to put up with it much longer. I'm redoing my resume and will be sending it around everywhere. I think if I finally win the lottery I will build a Rita's near my house and just run that until I am too old. Then I won't have to deal with psychos like we have inherited at work this past 2 months. Besides, free Rita's every day sounds good.

And yes, I would make mine for free. RHIP you know. :)

Time to run.

1 comment:

Rene said...

I think that is so cool that after your father passed away, you found that car again! I'm sorry to hear about your dad, since I don't think I knew that ever. We used to have a Countrysquire, blue w/ wood panel sides, but our "hidden" seat faced each other, not out the back window, but we loved sitting back there too! And the mini van with lightening bolts....needs to really wake up and smell the poopy diapers..your lightening bolt days are over!!!