Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Talk Is Cheap

I am getting really tired of 'corporate speak' or whatever they want to call it these days. The terms and catch phrases the management use bug me. I think most of that crap is made up so they actually sound more intelligent than they are. Then they can talk to their boss(es) and sound like they are being effective and really know what they are doing. Mostly they are just pushing the talented people around them hard enough to make themselves look effective.

I am sick of hearing about "thinking outside the box" and "taking ownership" and "Value Added". WTF does "Let's Interface" have to do with anything? And anyone "Touching My Base" will get a smack in the head. (Unless it's a case of sexual harrassment that I would like to happen.) Complaints that employees are not "being proactive" suck too. Mostly management really means that they have someone to blame for not thinking ahead for them when they throw that one around. How about this one, "problem space". It's a problem dorks! Not a space. And I still dont get the term "Robusticity". I think thats is a made up word.

I just want to work around people who speak english. lol

OK, got that off my chest. Thanks.

Not everyone is like that. I like the people who go about their business and get things done without trying to be more than they are. Those are the valuable employees. I get wary of people who like the flashy terms and mumbo-jumbo talk. Those are warning flags for me.

So these days have been flying by me. The around-the-clock schedule has been a bitch. More so for the operators. But it has made days just run together.

Nicci and I have been hitting the Tennis courts every day now. It's a good stress relief. Last night we had a little extra fun playing. We got a bunch of new tennis balls and when one of the old ones got mixed into the game somehow we would see who could be the first to hit it way out of the court. We planned on leaving all the old ones there wherever they landed. People with dogs love to get the old ones. What is strange about last night is that normally when a ball goes over the fence people will just walk by and not help you out by throwing it back in the court. Not so yesterday. Several people came by and threw the balls back in to us. It got ridiculous. We hit 6 out and got 4 returned. Usually we have to go run for them ourselves. Of course last night we didn't want them back. Go figure. I guess it was 'nice people walking through the park' day.

Unfortunately the work schedule has left me with precious little blog material. Just what is in my head. So lately this blog is lame-o. Soon I hope to be social and start living again. Then I can tell you all about the weird people and strange observations I usually have here. I'd love to talk about the Yanks too but I am too superstitous. When I talk about a game they lose the next one. So I won't do that until they win the Series. Then I'll mention them again. ;)

Like my title there says, I'm feeling cheap right now. So, see you later.

1 comment:

Rene said...

oops...i added an extra word!! take out the word "they" in the next to the last line!