Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Bitch Ass Night

Last night was a bitch. Yes, that's a heck of a way to start this post, but I just didn't have it in me to post anything last night. Here's why.

I already had a tough day at work. Not hard, just busy. My car was in the shop for something simple and when I called to make sure it was ready before I left work, it wasn't. It was going to be another 1 1/2 hours. I was bummed. That would put me right into the heart of rush hour on the beltway. Not something to look forward to. So I hung out at work longer than usual (which always sucks), finishing some paperwork and then decided that I'd be better off crossing the city and waiting at the dealership, at least missing that part of rush hour. Good thought. Too bad it didn't work out.

I got to the beltway without incident and right after the entrance ramp, I found myself in a parking lot. Yep, there was an accident ahead and all but 1 lane was closed. A 6 car bumper bender. As I crawled along I once again was reminded how these things are usually caused by some dork not paying attention to changing traffic ahead of them. One bumps the rear of another and it just snowballs. It really disrupts a bunch of people's lives just because one person is negligent.

Well, I finally get past and get to the dealership. A 10-15 minute trip turned into a 50 minute one. Naturally I'm now a bit irritable. I get my car, no problems there. It's running perfectly and looks beautiful, just having had it detailed. I leave the dealer all happy, ready to face the rush hour traffic. I get 2 blocks and I'm sitting at a stop light when suddenly, without warning, my car moves forward without my permission. Yep, you guessed it, some a-hole not paying attention just hit me from behind.

I see the guy get out of his truck and come to my window. I'm still a little stunned, but I roll the window down and the genius says to me "Did I hit you?" I know the look on my face had to scare the crap out of him because he took a step back and I just said "What the f$@# do you think? Who else do you see in front of you?" (Or something along those lines at least. I'm still not too clear on the exact phrasing.)

Anyway, we pull over into a parking area and exchange info. I call the Police because I know better than to let Einstein leave without having a report in my hands. We end up waiting there 40 minutes for the Police to show up. Apparently there are quite a few dorks like this one running into people tonight. While we're waiting the guy calls home and tells his wife that he just hit me. I hear her going off over the phone. It makes me smile. Then the idiot says "Yeah, it had to be a BMW. I couldn't hit a piece of shit car." I stare at the guy wondering how that makes any difference at all. First, hitting any car will piss off it's owner, no matter what kind it is. Second, hitting a car that is completely stopped and is in plain sight means you're an idiot. What a stupid thing to say.

Well, the Police Officer shows up and here is the only bright spot to the evening. It's a really attractive lady cop. (At this point, I needed a positive, thank you.) I didn't know they made pretty cops outside of television shows. She handled everything and we were finally on our way.

I finally got home some 5 1/2 hours after I left work. A normally 1 hour commute turned into a nightmare. Now we get to go through all the pain in the ass stuff with insurance people and getting the car fixed. The damage is not really too bad, but it shouldn't have happened. We shouldn't have to go through all the crap because some idiot couldn't pay attention. Sometimes you have to wonder how some people survive.

No comments: