Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I'm Trying To Figure Out.....

.... who it was that came up with the idea to put that little arrow on the gas gauge. The one that points to the side of the car that the gas tank filler door is on. Whoever it was is a genius.

This thing seems like it shouldn't be any big deal. I actually remember thinking the first time I saw it that it was a waste. I wondered how much extra it cost the manufacturer to put that little spot of paint on the gas gauge. I now see that I was wrong.

Having had to drive a lot of loaners and rentals this past year (including this past week) I realized that I do appreciate the little buggers. Changing vehicles often and not knowing for sure which side the gas tank thing is on is a real problem when you are heading to the gas station. Luckily there's that little arrow thing there to help me out.

So, for all the time I spent in the past laughing about the dumb ass arrow pointing out the correct side for filling up the tank, I apologize. I realize now there is a reason for the thing to be there. It's for all the times your real car needs a fix up job and you aren't sure which side of the gas pump to pull up to with your loaner/rental. Without that little arrow pointing the way you would be more frustrated and probably take it out on the service people.

Most likely a Service Rep. at a dealership came up with the idea. Self preservation is the mother of invention? Could be.

No comments: