Saturday, April 09, 2005

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Starbuck’s…..

I headed out to Starbuck’s this morning as usual, just like almost every other weekend morning, enjoying the amazing weather. It’s really sunny and warm already and it’s still early morning. I feel different this morning. Maybe I’m getting out of the funk I’ve been in all week.

Anyway, I stop at the grocery store first to pick up some *ah hem* girlie things for Nicci and as I’m heading inside I realize I forgot my wallet. Now, I’m not too sure how I thought I was going to pay for anything without money or even a check card. Maybe if I were a teen and feeling adventurous I might have thought about lifting the *girlie things*, but there’s no way I’m getting out of Starbuck’s without paying. Sooo, back to the car, back home, grab the wallet and back to the grocery store. (Isn’t it neat how time can elapse so fast when blogging?)

As I’m heading into the store again, I start talking to it. I’m walking in saying, “Well, I’m back. Did you miss me?” To my surprise, I got an answer. A voice said “Yes, we sure did!” I look over to my right and to my relief (who wants to hear voices from a building?) there is a little girl walking in with her Grandmother. When I look over, she sort of giggles and hides behind the older woman. She was a cutie! I stopped and in my most proper English sounding accent, I said “Well thank you m’lady. I’m glad to be back a-gain.” She just started giggling and the two of them continued on.

I dodged one there, but it wasn’t the last. Next I’m in Starbuck’s and chatting with the Baristas as my coffee is getting done. When it is done I turn to go to the sugar/cream bar thing and there are 2 guys standing right in front of it talking. Not using anything on it, just talking. They were there when I came in, so I guess they didn’t expect anyone else wanted to use anything? I stood a few feet away, patiently, all the while being ignored. In my mind I was thinking “Any day now Gomer” when the one guy turned and said “What did you say?” I realized that those words weren’t just in my head. I had said that out loud. Oops!

I didn’t say anything back. I wasn’t sure what to say since I didn’t even think I was saying anything out loud anyway. He must have thought I was just waiting for him to get the hint since I was suddenly silent. He stepped aside and said excuse me, kinda snotty and he and his 2 friends left. I started laughing and one of the girls working at the counter burst out laughing too. When I turned around all 3 of them were standing there laughing at me. I guess they had heard what I said. I didn’t realize I could think so loudly! One of them told me those guys had been there for about 20 minutes and some other customers had been a little annoyed with them too.

Needless to say I think I’ll be staying away from the public today. At least until my mouth and my mind are back to working together again. One of these days I’m going to get myself into a real pickle when that happens. The good news is that it only happens when I’m feeling particularly good, so this should be a good day.

Of course, I do have to make a trip to Lowe’s today. I wonder how long until the brain/mouth re-fusion is completed? ;)

No comments: