Saturday, April 02, 2005

Starbuck’s, The Elixir Of Life

Next to Cherry Pepsi, that is.

My usual Saturday morning run to Starbuck’s always gives me blog material. Today as I was going into the store a woman pulled in and parked next to me. She looked over as I was walking past and smiled at me. I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Heck, I smile at everyone anyway, especially when I’m so close to my morning coffee fix. I’m pretty sure most people who are so close to their fix are like that too. (Meritt?)

Anyway, by the time she came into the store, I had ordered and was waiting at the counter. I happened to glance over when the door opened and when I did her eyes caught mine and she again sent me a really bright, warm smile. I smiled back but now I was worried. I started thinking this was one of those situations where someone recognizes you but you have no idea who they are. I hate those times. When you maybe know someone but don’t remember them and they start talking to you. Then the worst part, they remember your name but you have no idea what their name is. (Like Jerry and Mulva.)

So I did what any grown up, well adjusted adult would do; I avoided eye contact with her, hoping to escape before she started an uncomfortable conversation. Needless to say it didn’t work out that way. Bad ideas like that usually don’t. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men…..

I had my coffee and had added a touch of sugar and when I turned away from the sugar bar thing, there she was, about 3” away from my nose. When I turned around and took my first step I nearly ran her down because she was waiting to get sugar and/or cream. I took a quick step back and she started laughing at my reaction. I guess I looked surprised. (Yes, I can be oblivious sometimes.) She put her hand on my shoulder and said, “Sorry to scare you like that. I didn’t mean to crowd you.” I apologized and told her I was a bit preoccupied. She introduced herself and told me that she was a huge Yankees fan and how much she loved my Yankee sweatshirt. (I told you before; I don’t leave home without something Yankee on me.) She wanted to know where I got it. I told her where to order it and then we proceeded to discuss lots of Yankee stuff and I found myself really liking her. After a few minutes, pleasant ones may I add, she walked to the bar and started doing her coffee thing and I left.

As I left I started laughing at myself. I had gotten worked up over something that never was there in the first place. Because I got lost inside my own head, worried about what *might* be happening, I nearly lost the chance to make a new friend.

Sometimes it’s not so good to be out in public before the morning coffee.

No comments: