Friday, April 29, 2005

A New York Minute

OK, here's a brief account of my New York trip yesterday. I apologize for the weird sounding audio-posts. It was really hard to concentrate on the one sided phine thing with a million distractions/distractors around.

Speaking of phones, I was once again reminded of the amazing impact that cell phones have had on society. Immediately. On the train going to New York we were surrounded by people jabbering away on cell phones. It was constant. No breaks. A lot of business calls and personal stuff too. Mostly business. There were a pair of guys one seat back and to the left that stayed on their phones the entire trip. If I were a thief I could have written down the one guys phone number, business address, his credit card number, including the extra numbers on the back, almost everything about him. It's no wonder people get their identities ripped off. When we were getting off in New York, the one guy looked at the other and said "Well, that trip wasn't too long." I guess not since you were busy on the phone the whole time.

One of the first things you notice when leaving Penn Station is the traffic in the city. Not the volume so much as the content. The street was fairly busty but there were maybe 2-3 personal vehicles in it. The rest were Taxi Cabs. There were maybe a hundred in sight. It was like a sea of Yellow Cabs out there. Cracked me up. Luckily we already knew where we were going so we walked to the show. It was just 4 blocks. 4 city blocks, but I need the excersize anyway.

I won't bore you with too many details about the show itself. Just suffice it to say that everything and every service available for the BioTech & Pharmaceutical Industry was represented there. Old friends too, like the guys I made say hi on the audioblog. I've worked on projects with them several times and it's always sweet to know someone in the business when you're in the city. (They thought I was nuts doing that, btw.)

The guy that I referred to with the bow tie was a trip. He had a big bow tie with suspenders over a white shirt and dark pants. The pants were several inches above his ankles. Floods or high waters they were called when I was a kid. At first I thought the guy was just one of the side show types, but he was dead serious. He got to the booth I was standing at and butted right in. Seemingly unaware that anyone else was talking to the reps there, he started out with a big "I'm sooo glad I found you guys!" He then monopolized the 2 guys there with some project he was working on. I found him amusing. I think he had to be an R&D guy. Had to be.

Then there were the babes I mentioned. This booth had some kind of demonstration of their rubber rpoducts tensile strength going on and they were stretching the stuff out to it's limits. They had two sexy women in skin tight, shiny blue outfits doing a stretching routine at the same time. I wondered how many people were paying attention to the product demo. I wasn't. Only in New York!

There was a really cool booth where the company was a Mechanical Contracting group. These usually are the best ones to visit. They had one of their circulating chillers set up with this blue liquid flowing through it. It looked really cool. Turns out the blue liquid was a blue martini mix. They had the real thing flowing through their machine and were giving out free shots. You got to keep the shot glass after the shot too. There's a tip for you, the best places to visit are the mechanical and industrial contractors. They always give out free booze. (Actually the equipment manufacturers also do that. They had big coolers of beer to hand out.)

I have a lot of people stuff to talk about later. This is long now and I do need to get caught up on some work. I'll post more later. (Damn work. Interfering with blogging again.)

No comments: