Monday, November 20, 2006

Weekend Stuff

I had an interesting weekend, to be sure. I had plans to hang with the band Friday night but that didn't happen. I was really looking forward to it too. But Nicci had different ideas. (Don't ask, it still irritates me.)

Instead I had dinner with my Aunt & Uncle. My Aunt's birthday was Saturday so we took them out to celebrate.

Saturday was weird too. I went to help my Uncle at his store for a while and then helped my Aunt and Mother *shudder* with their indoor yard sale. They have one of those things every year and they get the Firehall meeting room for free. (A side benefit to my Uncle having been the Fire Chief for so many years.) They actuall make out really well. It's pretty funny to see all those old women in there haggling and gossiping all day. Luckily I was only there for about 1.5 hours.

Sunday I went to set up my Mom's PC for her. She just moved and she has no clue about how to do it. First things first; The person who packed it for her needs a smack in the head. That was my first thought. Everything was stuffed into two garbage bags and transported. This is the PC I gave her when I got my new one so luckily I was very familiar with it. But the tangled rat's nest of cables and wires, including the mouse and keyboard, took some time to get straightened out.

I finally got the PC set up and started it only to find that it didn't want to run. As it turned out, she hasn't run her anti-spam filter for months nor has she cleaned out the system. She had 93 different viruses (tracking and data mining ones) and it didn't want to run. She also had 1172 spam emails junking up the thing. No matter how many times I show her how to protect the thing from stuff like that she never does it. It took me 2 hours to get the thing running right again.

Old ladies! Sheesh! No wonder they are victims of identity theft so often.

So my weekend was weird but lame again. Not bad but not great. I think I need a few adventures to get me back on track. I am making plans for some interesting visitations in the near future. That should be fun. Plus I am headed to Williamsburg (The Winery especially!) just before Christmas so that will be cool. Something to look forward to. I guess life can't always be exciting, can it?

Too bad.

1 comment:

Me said...

LOL at your mother... wow that poor computer! Hopefully you wrote down some basic instructions to make sure a firewall and a filter were in place? :)

I swear older women are SO GULLIBLE. I post on a recipe board and it's FULL of people like your mother. Yesterday they were all excited (and bitching) about the government OPTOUT program for marketing they saw on Oprah. They were complaining that if you do the OPT OUT program you have to give them your SS # and they didn't think that was safe to do - but they really wanted to stop the 'junk mail' - especially the Paypal notices.

WTF?

I had to tell them that the Opt Out program they heard about on Oprah was for JUNK MAIL AND PHONE CALLS - at your HOME, not by email. They thought they could call a number and give their SS # and their EMAIL SPAM WOULD STOP!!!!


LOL.