Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fun Day Off?

A few weeks ago our garage door opener stopped working so we decided to replace it. We also decided to replace the door since the door in no way matches the house. We had been talking about the door thing for a while and since we had to get the opener, it seemed to make sense. I'm sure I could do the opener myself but I wasn't about to tackle the door alone. I was off work yesterday because the stuff had finally arrived and we had finally managed to get it scheduled. So yesterday should have been a nice easy day off, right? Nope. As usual things went wonky.

It started out that the manufacturer of the door sent a door that we didn't order. They sent one that would work instead of the one we ordered. The windows we wanted wouldn't work in the door that Lowe's had ordered. Yes, thats what I said. Instead of letting Lowe's or the installers know the order had been placed incorrectly they just sent something else. They completely ignored what we asked for which is an important issue here. We wanted the windows to match the other windows in the house. When the installer told me he noticed the door wasn't what we ordered he thought there would be problems.

Uh... yeah.

So after about an hour of phone calls trying to straighten out the mess-up, finally we decide that the opener would be the only thing getting done that day. The right door had to be ordered. But now there was another problem. The installer couldn't install just the opener. Their order was to do both. If they split it up they wouldn't get paid for the one. So he says goodbye, goodluck and too bad and takes off. It's mid-morning and now nothing is being done. Needless to say I was a little perturbed.

So I call Lowe's and ask for the Manager. He gets on the phone and really pisses me off good. Not because he is a jerk. Becuase he is very helpful and apologetic and promises to at the least get the broken opener installed asap.

Doesn't that make you mad? When you feel like letting someone really have it and they are so nice and so helpful? I wanted to be mad but he wouldn't let me. lol

So after a few more calls and arrangements and waiting the guys came and installed the opener. The door got ordered. It means another day off for the same issue but hopefully it will work out next time.

During all this turmoil I had another issue. Our mortgage was transferred to another company a few weeks ago. So naturally we sent payment to the new company. Nicci noticed that the check never cleared so she asked me to call the mortgage people to see what was up. Well, they never received the check. But they said our account was marked paid and up to date. ??? So i call the original mortgage company and they tell me our account was never transferred yet. We should have paid them. They wanted me to pay over the phone.

See where this is going?

Yeah, in between the Lowe's stuff I was on the phone 5 times to 5 different people trying to straighten out thier error so we didn't get screwed in the process. In the end it boiled down to us either waiting for the check to clear (even thought it was lost somewhere for 2 weeks already) or cancelling it and making a payment to the right place.

When I spoke to Nicci about it she decided to call the guy who set up the mortgage in the first place. He found out that the account had indeed been transferred to the new place even though no one else had their story straight. We ended up cancelling the check, $30 out of our pocket, and making the payment on time to the right company.

I have left out a lot of the conversations during this mess but trust me, it was exasperating the lack of customer service. Not to mention the lack of accountability. What a bunch of dolts!

So my cool day off turned out to be far more stressful than being at work. When a day off makes you wish you were working you know something is wrong. I feel pretty good being here today. :P

Isn't that sad?

No comments: