Monday, September 17, 2007

Ugly Town

I noticed something odd about my hometown over the weekend. There aren't too many good looking women running around in it. No matter where I had to go the pretty ones aren't there. Once I realized that fact I started to wonder if maybe there just aren't any at all. Doing my errands on Saturday I looked and looked and found myself more and more disappointed.

Then I started to wonder if the guys are at least good looking. I have a hard time deciding what a woman thinks is good looking so I just used my judgement. Unfortunately, the guys didn't look any better to me.

Thats when I came to this sad conclusion: We have an ugly town.

The one place that has pretty girls is the Mennonite store I go for homemade stuff. Especially the pickled eggs and beets. Yum! Two of the girls there are pretty. But in general the whole town is like a redneck zone complete with mullets (men and women), fat-assed 90% tatooed bodies and and wife beater t-shirts. No wonder everyone I know shops out of town.

Then there is the "blue-hair factor". If there weren't rednecks around there were really old people. Tons of them everywhere. I started to think the town has to be at least 75% old people. Geriatric central. I think they could just enclose the whole downtown and make it a gated retirement community and nothing would seem any different.

New conclusion: We have an ugly, geezer filled town.

But there are advantages to this scene. For example, the restaurants cater to the two groups. So the food is good, homemade type stuff. Plus it is cheap. Oldies like to go out for dinner all the time and they only like certain types of stuff. You always hear them talking about how they were raised on such and such style of cooking and how they only like that kind of dinner out. So the local Mom & Pop places cater to them. Plus they are on fixed incomes so that works to everyone's advantage. I don't mind a bit.

The rednecks keep down the prices too. The owners know they have only a small amount budgeted for food so they price things accordingly. The Budweiser and Miller Light crowd can't be bothered with paying too much for food and cutting into the beer and cigarette funds.

So there are a few advantages to this situation.

It's funny what you can see and understand once you finally take the time to look around you. Now I realize just why it is I travel to do my shopping. It must have been a subconscious thing before. But now I am enlightened. :)

3 comments:

Rene said...

Please don't tell me that your out of town shopping is Chambersburg, because the pretties are few and far between there too! Well, now that I"m not there anymore! Ha ha ha!!!

Me said...

Rotfl... remember; you and Nic live there! What are you trying to say????



:)

Rene said...

ha ha!! good point to meritt!!