Friday, September 07, 2007

Lessons Learned

I had this whole big post started yesterday about a phone conversation I had with a friend on Wednesday night but I never was able to finish it. So I'll shorten it now and just put the basics in.

And yes, before you all freak out and call me a liar, I did actually talk on the phone for longer than 2 minutes with someone. For real I did.

Anyway, the gist of it was that a mutual friend of ours is apparently headed toward separation with his wife. It sucks for him too because he isn't into it. The thing is, as far as the story was told to me anyway, that she is tired of, bored with and/or not into the relationship anymore. They met when he was a rocker in a band and these days they live a quiet, routine, decent life.

i.e.: boring

I feel for him because he has sowed his wild oats and is happy with the sedate life. She isn't. But I got myself into trouble on the phone (again) because I could see both sides. I hate that it is happening for him but I also get what she is going through. I see it this way, when 2 people meet and stay together it's because they manage to find things that are attractive. Sometimes these things make them stay together for a while. But if somewhere along the line one of them changes something that was attractive to the other, the other loses some interest. And those types of things can be subtle and sneaky. They can surprise you eventually. They also compound if other things change. Then you end up with what we see here, the woman claiming she wants out and that she hasn't been in love for some time.

She may not have been. Sometimes the subtle changes finally get to your brain and you realize that you hate your life. Then you reflect back and realize it's been some time that you haven't been happy. That's when you are at the point of no return.

It's a bummer but it is life. But I get myself into hot water by voicing such things. My friends are all a bit more conservative than I am. I'm no liberal by far but I am also not typical conservative.

I also got myself into it when I mentioned that the place my friend works was a looney bin and the people there should be put to sleep. To me, thats what those places are. The people there are the screwy types that have to be on medications to "help them fit into society". Uh huh. Those are the people who decide one day that they are OK and stop taking their medications and end up hurting and killing innocent people. Like the guy in New York who decided he was cured, stopped taking his meds and ended up pushing the girl in front of the subway because "the voices in his head told him he had to."

My opinions again aren't the favorable kind. Personally, I think none of them should ever be allowed around normal, decent people. But again, I get into hot water saying it.

We put animals to sleep. We turn off broken toasters and throw them away when they are beyond repair. What's wrong with, at the least, quarantining the looneys?

It's just my way of thinking. TFB. LOL

So once again I am reminded of why I don't like talking on the phone. I don't have anyone to talk to who I can relate to anymore. Somewhere along the line either I am different or my friends are. Or maybe we are more intolerant of one another? I dunno. The only person I miss talking to (on the phone that is) is DW. But she doesn't call anymore since I missed her so many times. Sorry DW. I miss you. :)

So that was the post from yesterday, condensed a bit and added onto also. The lesson I learned from it all is that relationships of any kind are hard. Whether it's a lover or a friend, it's hard. And sometimes the hard things are better to just forget about and move on.

Let's move on to today, shall we?

No comments: