Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Check It Out Dude!

Have you noticed that bikers tend to stand around their bikes and smoke and point and talk about their bikes? I noticed this a while back but this morning it is fresh in my mind. Why this morning you ask? Because at 5:14 a.m. I went past these 2 biker dudes in their biker duds and they were standing, smoking, sipping coffee (I assume) and pointing at their bikes.

Now, I've seen bikers doing that in normal times. Every evening I pass this cool bike repair shop on my way home and there is always 5-6 bikes out front and usually that many bikers standing around looking at them. (Usually with beers, not coffee.) But to see a couple of them at 5:14 a.m. makes me wonder.

I started wondering if they were part of some group that was standing and admiring their bikes the night before and those 2 just couldn't get enough. Maybe they were standing there all night admiring each others cool rides. Maybe they were so enthralled with the bikes that they just couldn't get going for fear of not having a good enough view. To them, the view is the thing. I dunno. It just was funny to me.

Is this something all bikers do? Stand around and look at bikes and talk shop? I wonder if thats what happens in car clubs too. Car dudes & dudettes standing around looking at each others stuff, talking, pointing, sucking down beers and not driving. I've never belonged to any of those clubs but I do wonder.

I also wonder if you have to learn a secret handshake or something when you join up with these gangs. Maybe a secret greeting. You know, like Fred Flintstone; ack rack-a-dack....

Maybe Peachy can help us out with these questions. Hey Peach, any of this sound familiar? Any insight?

I was just wondering. :)

3 comments:

Me said...

Oh my gosh... that's funny. I never paid attention but you're right.

Always standing around, pointing at the bikes and discussing them. I'm thinking WHAT can you possibly say that hasn't been said already? But it's true; your observation is correct, I've just not thought about it before. ;)

Stupid Things You Never Cared To Know:

1. I was almost ran over by Hell's Angels as a child. (Literally.)

2. My Cowboy Uncle ended up in the hospital and almost dead from a bar fight with a biker. He was on his horse at the time of the fight too... again, literally.

3. I'm friends with a few life time bikers... one of which is roughest, toughest most scarry looking guy you could ever meet.

4. One intense biker guy gave me the compliment that I was a real "classy lady" and the only true "lady" he knows.

Lars said...

Hi YB! I haven't commented in a while, but I do read and I wanted to say Hi. I don't have much to say about bikers right now though.

Yankeebob said...

Meritt, most of the biker dudes I know are pretty OK people. They also say "classy lady" to the classy ladies a lot. I wonder if thats some kind of biker lingo?

Lars, good to hear from you. You've been pretty busy lately so I'm not surprised that you haven't commented. :)