Sunday, May 14, 2006

Possessed By Larry, Moe & Curly

I managed to finish that project I posted about Friday. It was quite the chore. On the surface it looked easily done. In reality, no so much. The worst part was that Larry, Moe and Curly came along and helped me do it.

Here are the adventures I had once they showed up:

As I was scraping the walls I totally forgot that I had cut one of the steps out to get back into the area under the steps. Naturally being possessed like I was with the Stooges spirits, I tried stepping on the thing 3 times! Once on the way up but I caught myself before my head hit the steps above. (It was close!) Twice backing down. Luckily I noticed just in time the second time. Not the third. I stepped back that third time and just went down through the hole. All the way. My leg got scraped up and I went backwards hard against the wall. It took the wind out of me for a few minutes. Today I have serious bruises on my back and right side with a bruush-burn on my right shoulder that I got through my shirt. How do you get brush-burned through a shirt? It doesn't feel good. I remembered the missing step after that.

When I was under the steps scraping I noticed the odd position was making my legs act weird. Like they were going to sleep or something. I thought it was kinda funny. Then the one time I tried to stand up and I thought I had my feet under me I was shocked to see the wall hitting my face. That right leg never got under me and I went forward right into the wall. It hurt. The worst part is that I did that 4 times. The next two I simply fell down and scraped my knees up. My knees look like some 5 year old has been outside playing in gravel. The last time it happened naturally had to be when I was painting the first coat. Have you ever tried to get drylock off your forehead? Yeah, it sucked! I went forward and knocked my head into the wet wall. Seems like I couldn't learn lessons on Friday. Just like the Stooges.

Another thing I couldn't stop doing was stepping on the drylocked floor. I had to do the part under the lower steps first, then crawl out and reach back under to get where I had been sitting to finish the floor. So when I stepped forward to get into position I stepped right onto the area I had just painted. 3 different times. The last time I had to hurry and clean up because I managed to step back into the basement. Drylock on the nice floor would mean dead YB. Oh well, at least my Reeboks are sealed on the bottoms. I have that going for me now. :)

The last Stooge-like thing I managed to do was forget just how much dust a job like that makes. Especially when you are cleaning up with a shop vac. I never gave it a thought as I was scraping and vacuuming and scraping and vacuuming. I never closed the basment door. When I was done with the final vacuum and I went into the basement for some reason I was shocked to see there was nothing but a huge cloud inside. The whole finished basement area was smogged. What a dumb ass! Can you guess what I did most of yesterday evening? Yep, cleaning all the furniture and walls and floors in my basement room. It all had a nice pretty white dusting all over it. Sheesh!

The moral of the story is this: Never let the 3 Stooges in to help with a project. Usually when I do something I have a few hiccups along the way. I'm used to that. But this project was a comedy of stupidity the whole time. I am amazed at all the screwy things I did. I am even more amazed that I got it done and it turned out great! It really did make a difference.

Now I hope the Stooges stay away when I go to cut out those big ass nails and replace the step. Can you imagine the damage I can do to myself with that type of equipment running?

Yeah.

No comments: