Monday, October 02, 2006

Blame It On Society

I met someone at Starbuck's today that made me think of this comic:




When she walked into the store the first thing I noticed was her hard glare. She came through the door and when she was walking toward the counter she looked like her eyes were threatening to throw lasers at everyone. I was amused. But we all know that's the way I am.

So I watched her for a while. She was very pretty. Bright blue eyes, nice figure, generally attractive. She had a nice smile but it looked forced. The corners of her mouth were turned down when she was just standing still and not interacting. Her demeanor was very defensive. She crossed her arms over her chest. Her right leg never stopped its rythym, shaking impatiently.

The thought that popped into my head was that she didn't seem to fit in her clothes. You know that saying? She was dressed professionally and her hair was pulled back very tight into a little tiny ball. (Made me wonder what it was like loosened.) But the whole "leave me alone on penalty of death" attitude didn't seem to fit that pretty face because when the barrista spoke with her she gave a quick smile that totally changed her look.

Suddenly I felt the need to find out about her.

After ordering, she came to stand nearby. When she looked my way, I smiled. She hesitated and then smiled quickly and turned her head. Then she started looking at the news papers in the rack. Standing there with her back to everyone else, leg shaking in time to some secret rythmn. So I went to the rack and took a paper. Not intruding but close enough to her. She looked at me, raised an eyebrow and looked away again. Then I dropped the paper on purpose, right at her feet. I went to grab it but she quickly bent down and handed it to me. I thanked her and was rewarded with another quick smile. She just said "no problem."

Thats when my coffee was ready. I headed to the bar to grab it and the barrista called out another one ready. It was in a stainless steel travel mug. A big one too. Turns out it was hers. So she was right behind me when we got our coffee. I turned and almost bumped into her. I quickly stepped back like I had hit fire or something. I guess it amused her because she smiled again. I apologized and then I asked her about that big travel mug. She explained that Starbuck's will put your coffee into any mug you want. We started walking toward the table where the sugar and stuff is while she told me about the travel mug. I mentioned that she must really like morning coffee to have such a giant mug. Either that or she was the sleepiest person I had ever met. That made her smile again. She started to lighten up.

So the conversation kept going for a while. She told me her name and we chatted for about 10 minutes. She was very nice. At one point I mentioned that she scared me when she walked in, what with the laser eyes and all. She found that really funny. She told me she was one of those unlucky women that everywhere she went someone was hitting on her. Someone was trying to get her to give up her number, trying to find a way to 'know her better'.... etc.... She said she can be pretty defensive these days. Yeah, no kidding!

I just smiled because I understood that. Guys these days don't seems to have as much respect for women like they should. Actually, people don't have the respect they should for others in general. I told her I understood and that I was happy she spoke to me. She laughed and said, "Well, you have a nice face." ??? Ok, I'll take that.

With that she told me to have a nice day and off she went.

As I left to head out to work I started wondering about people like her. She was an attractive woman but she was hiding it thanks to the way society treats attractive women. She was hiding her natural personality too, just to keep herself safe from what she called 'bad people'. Kinda made me sad.

The question is, do we blame this type of thing on society or do we blame society on us?

I easily could be mistaken for one of those type of guys whom she called bad. My natural curiousity and friendliness (when I feel like it) could get me in trouble with the wrong person. But it would be a mistake for someone to think that way about me. But these days, being friendly can get your feelings hurt or worse, some pepper spray in the face.

Deep thoughts for a Monday morning, eh?

But as always, it was nice to make a new friend. :)

No comments: