Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Safety Gurus

I believe in the whole 'Safety First!' idea. I really do. Especially in the workplace. But I also believe that having a full time safety department is a weird thing.

It's one of those groups that always have to insert themselves into every scenario. They are the "What if?" people. The "You need to..." people. They are constantly trying to justify their existance.

They can drive you crazy.

This week the safety manager at work decided it will be 'Drive Safe To Work Week'. I haven't heard of any special thing nationwide so it seems we are trying to be a trendsetter maybe? There are these signs stuck everywhere in the company. Every hall, every door. You can't escape them.

Here are a few examples:

An automobile's best performance investment is its driver.

Move over and stop. That ambulance may be carrying someone you know.

Pedestrians have the right of way even when they are wrong.

Unless you are a race car driver driving isn't a competative sport.

This is my personal fave:

How well would you work with someone speeding by your desk at 60 m.p.h.?

(I really don't get that one.)

Having a safety committee is a fine thing. Having a safety department is a little over the top. No matter what you do anymore they are in your face. Its probably because of all the jerks who like to sue everyone for their own stupidity.

I even met a guy once who went to college and graduated with a degree in safety. Now he was a strange fellow, lemme tell ya! How does a person decide to go to school and major in safety?

So this week we are all learning to be better drivers. Safer drivers. Thanks to the cool signs all over the buildings. Personally, I think if someone could cruise by my desk at 60 m.p.h. I'd have to give them kudos. After they stopped of course. ;)

"Thanks safety gurus for making me a better driver. I feel safer already."

No comments: