Wednesday, September 08, 2004

ESPN Is Losing It

I gotta know, when did Poker become a sport? Almost every night on ESPN and/or ESPN2 there is a poker game or a thousand advertisements for upcoming poker games. Am I missing something? How did playing cards become a sports event? This is September guys! Pennant races galore. Football season starting up. WNBA. Lots of other SPORTS. Get the hint? Card games aren't sports. How freaking boring can you get? (I guess watching fishing is just as boring.) But still, is that the best you can do? The wild card races this year are the best they've ever been, and ESPN is showing a card game. Geez!

Sad, really. For a network made for sports programming, ESPN is really stretching it. Now I hear they may be televising the World Championships Of Thumb Wrestling. That actually would be an improvement over a card game. At least someone would be doing some kind of activity during the broadcast. I wonder what kind of workout you do to get ready for thumb wrestling?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the fact that poker is not a sport but you are SO obessed with baseball right now that I think it clouds your vision. I'm suprised that your wife doesen't kick you out of the house for a couple of months and make you stay in a hotel room until baseball is over but I guess you'd probadly like that too much.

peachy said...

Last night at the bar, as soon as the football game came on, the tv was switched to poker. I started to ask the bartender to change it back but somebody beat me to it. They have celebrity poker on, world poker, etc..It's really not interesting and to me, it's not a sport. I think it's a trick (everything's a trick) to get you to pay for the next level of cable. If you want to watch videos, you can't watch VH1 and MTV, you need VH2 and MTV2.