Tuesday, September 07, 2004

I Hate When That Happens.....

Yesterday I was in line at my favorite morning place, Starbucks, when a woman walked in wearing a Kerry/Edwards badge. Believe it or not, the badge caught my attention first. (Keep in mind, I haven't had my morning coffee yet.) Anyway, The barrista asked who was next and the woman looked at me and asked if I was next. When I answered her I realized I knew her from somewhere, but I couldn't quite think of why. (Re: the no coffee thing) Once she ordered and I heard her first name, I realized that she was the Mayor of our city. Duh! As much as I've been paying attention to local politics lately and I couldn't recognize the mayor. Geez!

While we were waiting I went over to her and started a conversation. I've been wanting to meet the Mayor for some time. I like to watch the board meetings on the local channel and I've been impressed with the way she handles all the issues with professionalism and a no-nonsense approach. Of course, finally given the chance to speak with the Mayor, I found that my brain was still somewhere in sleepy land. We had a nice conversation, mostly small talk, but I really wanted to talk a little about some political stuff, especially the upcoming election. I think her views, (the insider kind of thing) would be really interesting. Needless to say, all I could manage was chit-chat.

Don't you hate it when an opportunity you've anticipated for a while finally presents itself and you choke? I'd love to have asked her about her views on the whole Kerry/Bush thing to see why she is supporting Kerry, but I was not able to focus like I normally would. Kinda started me thinking about this dependency on coffee in the morning. Maybe next time.....

No comments: