Monday, September 27, 2004

Why Do We Do What We Do?

I was in one of our equipment storage rooms today and I saw a piece of equipment with a tag that said "Do Not Touch", and that the equipment was being used for something. Now, this was a storage room, the thing wasn't even plugged in, and I didn't care for the tone of the tag. So, of course, I touched it. With just one finger. Just because. And no one was there to see me do it.

It's not that this equipment is anything special. On occasion I've picked it up to move it. I've pushed it around. I've helped use it. Nope, it was the tag telling me not to touch it. And just touching it with a single finger was quite satisfying, I have to say. A small victory of some sort for me.

This started me thinking about some of the stuff we do when we are alone or there is virtually no way someone will catch us doing it. (Except if we write it down in a blog, of course.) Like walking past a mirror, having it catch your eye and stepping back just long enough to make a goofy face in it. Who hasn't done that?

Or how about going around a corner while hopping on one foot a la Dagwood Bumstead. Or pausing mid way around the corner on one foot, posing for a split second and doing a quick 90° kick to end up in the direction you want to go before moving on. It’s fun, if you aren’t caught.

Sometimes we do even more risky things, like walking behind someone and imitating their walk. Or cruising along the highway pretending we are an Indy driver, complete with the sound effects. Someone in another car may see that one, if you are demonstrative enough. And how about talking to the plants? I talk to many things, actually. Especially the PC screen and TV screen.

I guess the list of goofy things people do could go on and on. Maybe it’s a way of keeping their sanity? Personally, I have a good time with my ‘secret’ life. The kid in me likes to feel like I've gotten away with something sometimes. I’m no Walter Mitty, but occasionally it’s fun to escape, even for a few seconds.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Walter Mitty, I have been tring to think of that name for weeks!

I have what I call Ally McBeal moments where I literally see myself doing things that I have to shake out of my head. Cracks me up.

It's all about someone TELLING us not to do something. OH yeah? I'm bad, I'll do it anyway! I think we are all closet rebels.