Thursday, May 31, 2007

For Lisa

I don't like cliches. A lot of people say that too. But did you notice that we all live cliches? We talk in cliches? We are cliches. Think about it.



I gave it all up today.

Gave it to a girl with nothing more than a want.

Gave it to her without a thought or hesitation

I gave it all up today

now I'm left without.

But I dont feel too bad

or too empty.

Just a little of both.

I gave it to her and she smiled sweetly.

"Thank you" was all she said.



We try to be different but the truth is we all look for that routine, comfortable lifestyle. The one where we are safe. Where there are few surprises. No chance of getting into too much out of the ordinary. That is too scary. Its too unpredictable. It wrecks the smooth flow. We are cliches.



Old guy on the bench.

Sitting alone, remembering them.

Where did life go for you?

Did it make you feel good?

Did it make you feel ok now that you are alone?

Was it worth the risks you took?

You are here now and I want to know.

Know how to not be you.

Alone is lonely sometimes.



I think there are few who live an un-cliche life. I think the ones who do tend to be what we'd call weird. Maybe freaky. Nicely we say things like artsy, creative, out-there. Inside we say idiot, oddball, dork. The true adventurers are the ones who burn out quick. They leave us early. Then we say "I told you so." On the inside we admire them and wish we had a little oddball in us still. Outwardly, where people can see, we are the 'I told you so' groupies.

But they weren't cliches. They are what we wanted to be. But we are afraid of the inevitable. The whole dying young thing is scary. But is it a bad idea? To live the way you want to, enjoy all the moments you ever want to and then be done with it? Besides, not all die young. The ones who don't are the ones with the best stories to tell. I sorta think that beats the hell out of having moments pass us by, then regretting them.



The breeze blew by me.

I forgot to notice it.

It nudged me, cooled me, stroked me, begged me to acknowledge it.

I pretended it wasn't there.

It was unusual.

It was different and different is scary.

Different is not what is expected.

It was beautiful, exciting, exotic and alluring.

I wanted it but the fear made me hesitate.

Then I forgot.

Too long I forgot it.

Then it was gone.

And so was the moment.

Now I want it back.

One shot deals are just that, one shot.

Now I want it back.



I am a cliche too. I never wanted to be. I once wasn't. I got myself into a lot of turmoil over it. I never minded it then either. I never had a moment of hesitation then. Almost never a dull moment. Always an opportunity. Then I quit. I gave up. I succombed. Some days I wish I hadn't. Most days. They all run together now. Routine after routine after routine. Someone else wanting a piece of me. Someone after that wanting a piece. Then more routine after routine after routine. What I wouldn't give for that little breeze to blow by me again. Just one more time. One more chance to go for it.

I am a cliche.

No comments: