Monday, May 21, 2007

Yo Quiero Taco Bell

I need Taco Bell. Today I will be going to Taco Bell for lunch. Thats all there is to it. Its the one trip I make when I'm annoyed and frustrated. Going there makes me happy.

Funny thing about me, food makes me happy. When things aren't quite right with the world, food can make the smile come back. Thats a sign of getting old, I think. In younger days it was hooking up with the friends. Or sex. lol

Today I'm wondering how long I can make it here at work. I realized last week that I am frustrated more and more every day. I love being back. Love the group I am with. But the system for getting things done sucks. It is inefficient, sluggish, ineffectual and the people are mostly disinterested. I'm here to make a difference and I have, but going forward is like running a race in waist deep water. So much resistance.

But the people, resources is the cool catchphrase here, all talk a good game. They all put on the show of wanting things to improve, progress, become better. But after the big show in public they all go back to their comfy routines. They prefer to be left alone in their own little ways and not be bothered. They don't want things to be changed. They don't want their routines to be different.

But they know how to talk about being different.

I love the job. Love what I am supposed to do. I know a lot about it. Have lots of experience with a lot of it. But the parts I need to learn have to come from the posers. Those are the areas that are resistant. Those 'resources' are the slowest and least responsive. I think its mostly because they have been in the same place far too long. Routines are only good for production people. They need to reproduce their routines the same way everyday. Moving forward and making things better is not the place for "same old, same old", y'know?

So today I will take a long lunch and go to Taco Bell. Just the thought puts a smile on my face. I am like Andre Agassi. He once said "You can't beat someone too badly and you can never drive too far to get to Taco Bell."

Hey, remember the cool little chihuahua that used to be in Taco Bell commercials? I loved that guy. I have one too. He talks when you squeeze him. He says "Yo quiero Taco Bell". I wish he was still hanging around. :)

Anyway, everyone have fun this morning. I'm going to go and wade through some more crap before taking my much needed mental health lunch. I know this is normally the place for the weekend recap but this morning I'm a little bugged so....... maybe I'll make it back in a little while for all that jazz.

Happy Monday.

No comments: