Wednesday, May 09, 2007

When Worlds Collide

Last night when I was mowing I noticed that the crazy old lady next door kept standing on her porch watching me. (Remember the 93 year old neighbor who walks around outside in her underwear?) She usually wants someone to bother when shes doing that. Well, I have no patience for the nutjob so I never let her get to me. I just ignored her.

Nicci finds it harder to be so dismissive. So when she was out later gardening she noticed the old woman motioning her over. Nicci being much nicer than I am went over and talked with her a while.

I should let everyone know right now that neither Nicci nor I like the woman very much. We have tried. We have taken her shopping. Have taken her for her 'hair-do'. Have taken her list of needs and gotten her groceries for her. I've shoveled her snow many times. But we don't do that stuff anymore. Every time we have helped her she has retaliated by being a mean, nasty thing. She is not a nice person.

That being said, you now know why I don't bother with her at all. To me, if you don't like someone and they treat you badly, you don't bother with them anymore. Nicci is much sweeter than I am. She went over last night and talked with her and found out that her anchient dog was dying and was going to be put to sleep today sometime. Naturally she felt bad and even gave the old bag a hug. Then she came inside and told me about it.

:)

When she mentioned it to me, all concerned and stuff, my first reaction was to say, "Good, its about time. That dog should have died long ago." Then I stopped and saw her reaction.

Oops! Foot in mouth again, I guess. :)

Nicci got upset with me for that. She said I needed more compassion. I don't see why though. I don't like the woman. I like the dog less. It's 18 years old. It is a bigger dog too. One that should have croaked years ago, just like the old woman. Shes 93 and sour as she can be. Neither of them has the courtesy to go away in a timely manner. Maybe the fountain of youth is in her house or something. Who knows? Billy Joel had it right, "Only the good die young".

So I got in trouble because I am consistent. I don't like someone so I don't really care too much what happens with them. Nicci doesn't like them but she manages to be compassionate anyway. We are worlds apart on many things, Nicci and I. But at least you can count on me when I decide something. If I don't like it, I'm done. If I like it (or them) I am a good person to know. I don't know how to be any different.

But I do know this much, after today I don't have to look at that ugly-ass dog anymore. Sounds pretty good to me. :)

No comments: