Tuesday, August 16, 2005

An Apology

I owe a dear friend an apology. I want to make it public so she knows I'm serious. We've been e-mail buds for almost a year now (maybe a whole year) and recently I have become very lax in writing back. I have no excuse, just total inattentiveness. (There's a word!) I have offended her and I am very sorry for it.

Those who know me well know that I can be that way. I have a tendency to just not notice that I haven't been in touch for a while. I have friends that I've known for 20 years that probably are used to it by now, but they could tell you how I will just 'forget' to stay in touch. Then one day I will realize that I haven't heard from them and I'll start checking in again. It's not intentional, just a part of me.

They will also tell you things like "YB has the attention span of a gnat", or "YB gets lost in his own little world". But they will tell you too that I don't stop caring and that I am fiercely loyal to them. I just can be a dope sometimes.

It's a funny thing to develop a close friendship without ever really meeting someone face to face. We recently had a couple of blog friends who even developed deeper feelings for each other via internet. I was a scoffer at such things before I started blogging, but I have definitely learned a bit since. I don't need to meet my friend to know that I care about her and how she's doing in life. A year ago you could not have convinced me that that was possible. Now I know better.

Relationships are funny things. Even ones that are considered 'virtual'. They should be well tended. Otherwise, you lose them.

I'm very sorry for being a bum L. I never intended to hurt your feelings. xoxo

No comments: