Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Beautiful People

I just got back from lunch at Popeye's. My first trip to Popeye's for chicken. Good stuff! I went with Miss Charming Jones (remember her?) and I was amused to no end by the way guys act when she is around.

The restaurant is in a strip mall well within the city so it was quite busy. When we walked in, immediately 2 guys to the right noticed and I saw them just start staring. Suddenly their food wasn't so interesting. Then when we approached the counter, a tall guy that had watched her walk in hurriedly opened a previously closed register and when she was headed toward a different one, he called to her and told her he would help her. Sooo obvious!

As we waited after ordering, 2 construction guys came in and I saw the one nudge the other and nod toward Miss Jones. They immediately changed direction and got into the line behind us. Then one of them kneeled down, adjusting his shoe strings (uh huh), and stared at her butt that was now about 3 feet in front of him. When he glanced my way, I just tilted my head and gave him the raised eyeball treatment. He just shrugged and smiled a big cheesy grin.

Then Miss Jones noticed that her lunch had cost more than mine even though we had gotten the same thing. She questioned the 'newly opened register guy' about it and he told her that he had made a mistake on my order (mine was too cheap) but since she was asking, he would refund her the difference. He did, but suddenly the difference was bigger. Her lunch ended up being cheaper than mine. Personally, I thought that was cool, but only one of 'the beautiful people' could pull that off.

Next we were at a table near the window when a guy came by and literally stopped when he saw her, stared a few seconds, walked past and then returned for another look. Amazingly, he came back for a 3rd look and then decided he needed some lunch, so he came in, staring at Miss Jones almost the whole time he was inside.

Is this normal behavior? Is this how all the beautiful people are treated? More importantly, do women act this way toward hot looking guys too? I wonder.

Funny thing is, she knows it. I know she does because I asked her about it. She said she's just used to it. We started laughing about the Seinfeld episode where Jerry had a beautiful girlfriend that charmed her way through everything. Getting tickets to a supposedly sold out movie, getting out of a speeding ticket, etc.... She says she doesn't do stuff like that, but maybe she could. She told me that her old boss used to send her on errands to the Warehouse because she could always get those guys to go along with anything.

This all makes me wonder how I act around her. I don't think I'm goofy at all, but I will have to monitor myself to see. I sure hope not. To me, she's just a very charming, fun to know person. One who causes a fuss everwhere we go, which is very entertaining, but still....

It must be nice to be one of the beautiful people.

No comments: