Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Faux Politeness

I just went into our little lunch area and noticed that the last piece of cake was getting smaller and smaller. The cake was leftover from last week's kiddies day and it does look good. It was several pieces larger yesterday but that last piece is shrinking. It's one of those things where no one wants to appear rude and scarf the last of it so it keeps getting cut in half. Soon all the halving will make it a mere microscopic conglomeration of a few atoms. Then we'll need Bill Nye The Science Guy to come in and show us how to divide the microscopic molecules in half so no one will have to be the one tagged with eating the last piece of cake.

Sometimes being 'polite' gets taken too far. I'm going to put a sign on the last, tiny little chunk that says, "Someone, eat the damn sliver please!" That would be funny to me. I'll bet it wouldn't be seen as 'polite' though. ;)

(BTW, before you ask, I don't like cake much so I'm not interested in putting the little guy out of my misery.)

No comments: