Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Honesty Sometimes Isn't The Best Policy

I was talking to this guy the other day that I really don't like very much. I don't really dislike him either, I just would prefer not to ever run into him again. I felt this way even before this meeting. We were talking casually for a few minutes (yes, I can be nice even when I don't want to) when he mentioned that he 'was told' that I really didn't like him much. Great, someone has a big mouth somewhere.

Well, rather than BS through the situation, I just said the truth, that I didn't dislike him, I just thought our personalities clashed a bit.

Well, you could have thought that I had called him a big jerk or something. He went off and started telling me how many more people hated me more than him and how I'm a big jerk etc....

I was stunned a bit. I didn't say anything insulting to the dork plus I really didn't totally dislike him. (Notice the 'didn't?') Then I made matters worse. He said something about how the women would always prefer him over me (wtf?) and how he didn't understand how I kept a woman. I remember wondering "Where did that come from?" Apparently this was a major issue for him? So of course.... I laughed. Typical me, when faced with something absurd, just laugh.

You would have thought I had insulted his Mother and the Pope and his ugly assed uni-brow too. Geez! Naturally when he started getting more irritated, I found it even funnier. That just doesn't help things at all. He finally walked away muttering about how much of an asshole I was (which can be true). I still think it was a pretty funny scene. I'm just not clear as to what had brought on this tirade of his. I always suspected he was a mental midget anyway. This just proved it to me.

The moral of the story: It's not always a good idea to be honest. Sometimes you should just let sleeping dogs lie. (Unless of course, you can laugh at the morons of the world and not feel offended, like me.)

No comments: