Thursday, May 19, 2005

This Has Got To Be A Magical Day

This morning I saw not one, but two Chevy Chevettes on the road! I know! You can sit back down now. Breathe. They were actually on the road and running! Anyone remember these freaks of the car industry? Anyone ever drive one?

I had a girlfriend who had one, bought it brand new, and when I drove it I just laughed so hard. First, it let me know what a sardine must feel like in that can they are squashed into. Second, the thing just wouldn't go uphill. Going up a hill was the funniest part of those cars. They had no oomph at all. I believe the Fred Flintstone car would have been better going uphill. What a strange thing for a manufacturer to market.

Makes me thing of all the other winners from the past. Like the Vega, another GM jem. The Pinto, the Yugo, the K Car, the Fuego, the Le Car, the Fiesta. There have been quite a few eyebrow raisers.

I had a Pinto. It was one of the ones that 'could' explode if it was hit in the rear. I hated that car. It wouldn't go uphill either, but that wasn't as big a problem as the Chevette since it only ran every other day. Literally. Something was always wrong with it. I used to get so mad at that piece of junk that I'd kick it and beat it with a wrench. I even kicked a hole in the side of it once. That did make me feel better.

I sold it to a guy I worked with. He knew all the troubles I had with it but still wanted it. I never figured out why. One day he came to work late and I noticed a big dent in the top. Apparently it didn't want to start again (for no apparent reason) and he got so frustrated that he hit the top with a tire iron. It was a big dent too.

So I've decided this must be a magical day since the only way I can see that those Chevettes could be running still has to be magic. Plus, two in one morning? Something special is happening today. Mark my words!!!

BTW, everyone go visit Peachy and wish her a happy birthday. Today's the big day! See, I told you it was already a special day. :)

No comments: