Saturday, May 21, 2005

“It’s Another Pleasant Valley Sunday”

That’s how I feel today even though it’s Saturday. Remember that song? How everything in life seems like it’s just routine and the same all the time? That’s how I see life most times. Routine.

I look down our street in the morning and I see the neighbors adhering to their routines too. Inside all those houses that “all look the same” I know they are enduring their routines and going through the motions just like me.

I think that’s how places like Starbuck’s get so successful. People like their coffee about the same time every day and they like it mostly the same way. I do. I’ll get something different in the afternoon visit (if there is one) but mostly the morning has to stay the same. I also think that’s how computer games and video games have become so popular. They help break routine and take your imagination away from the every day reality of life.

Funny thing about routines, we all like them. Even though sometimes we say we don’t, it’s what we all need to get through the day. When our routine is interrupted, then things get screwed up, annoying, irritating.

The best times are when your routine is changed and it’s either for something planned or something spontaneous that turns out to be fun, like an unplanned trip to the beach, just for the heck of it. I used to do those a lot. A whole lot actually. I miss that.

But today is just another day. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing special happening. I had my Grande Latte and now I’m the laundry bitch. I will be installing some really cool lights in my basement fortress of solitude today. That will be out of the ordinary, so maybe a little fun is on the schedule.

I wonder what’s it’s like to live “A life less ordinary?”

No comments: