Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Well, I Think It's Funny

Do you ever listen to yourself? I mean really listen to what you say and how you say it. Not just verbally, but how your reactions effect those around you. I've been forced to see myself in a different light recently.

I've been told that I laugh easily. Lately, I've been told that a lot. It's true too. I laugh at almost anything. I like to laugh. With someone, about someone at someone or something. No matter what, I find humor in almost every situation.

That sounds good, but it's not necessarily always good. Sometimes it's downright rotten, because I will laugh at something I think is stupid without thinking that someone else may have a totally different take on it. I just react. A lot. Mostly without any thought at all. No cruel intent when it happens. It just happens.

One thing I've really been noticing a lot lately is that my first answer to almost any question is a joke. Usually something quick and stupid. Doesn't matter who it is or what the situation is, at least 99% of the time I'll make some quip without thinking. After being asked a second time, I may answer sensibly.

A lot of the time, I don't even know what I'm saying either. It's like my mouth has this amazing ability to speak and still be disconnected from my brain. I've had a few instances recently where someone has said something to me and I've replied with some silly answer and then been embarassed shortly after. Not just because of what my stupid answer was, more because I spoke and couldn't even repeat what I'd said. I had no idea what it was. It just popped out. Maybe I just don't have it in me to take others very seriously? Could be. That's a bit rude, but it is me.

But the truth is everything is better with a little humor added. I make no apologies for joking around all the time. It's better than being too serious. I don't like being serious at all. It's too, well, serious. And that is boring, most of the time. To me. I can be serious, a good listener and even have been known to be quite sympathetic and helpful in times of stress. I prefer not to be, but I am capable.

I guess this personality trait is just another chapter in the book of "YB Doesn't Make A Good Grown-Up". Of course, the "Rules Of Being A Grown-Up" were written by some pretty serious minded individuals that most likely needed a good chuckle. I really believe that people like me were put here to balance out the other types who can't find anything to laugh about. Those are the ones who need people like me the most. Either to help them chuckle a bit or just so they have another reason to grumble. Legitimate reason to grumble are hard to come by. I'm glad to be able to fill that need for them. Even if they are poop heads. :)

No comments: